On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 01:11:56PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote: > Le ven. 17 sept. 2021 10:58, David Gibson a > écrit : > > > Hi all, > > > > At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into > > whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does, > > which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional > > component of the build > > > > Could user mode emulation be impacted by this decision? What code used by > user emulation could potentially be converted to Rust? qemu-user does not have the same security requirements as qemu-system, since the application is running under a given uid/gid on the host system and can invoke system calls. I think the benefits of Rust in qemu-user would be more around expressiveness (language constructs like pattern matching, traits, etc) and correctness (memory leaks, concurrency, etc). Both benefits might motivate someone to write parts of qemu-user in Rust, so I guess the answer is "all of it potentially could be converted". It's impossible to know until someone contributes patches. Stefan