On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 05:09:14PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote: > On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 08:58:25PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote: > > Ah, now I try again after setting up a [smtp] block I'm seeing the same > > error with git send-email, though not with the same parameters specified > > in a [smtp] block instead which is confusing me no end. Both programs > > connect to port 587 and does STARTTLS as I'd expect before reporting an > > authentication failure. I'll have another poke later, I can't spot > > any reason why the configuration that works with [smtp] won't work with > > [sendemail] - the parameter names appear to match. > I'm happy to test it out if you send me your [sendemail] and [smtp] blocks > with your credentials replaced by X's. OK, so I tested again and the [smtp] block is a red herring - it's being ignored and things are falling back to msmtp instead these days. The configuration block is: [sendemail] smtpServer = mail.kernel.org smtpServerPort = 587 smtpEncryption = tls smtpUser = = broonie smtpPass = XXXXXXXXXXXXX from = broonie@kernel.org which seems to match both the manpage and https://korg.docs.kernel.org/mail.html AFAICT (I've used both smtpuser and smtpUser type LHSs).