On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 05:52:46PM +0300, Serge Semin wrote: > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:16:05PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:51:59PM +0800, nandhini.srikandan@intel.com wrote: > > > Add support to select the controller mode as master mode by setting > > > Bit 31 of CTRLR0 register. This feature is supported for controller > > > versions above v1.02. > > Clearly older versions of the controller can also run in this mode... > Yes, but the driver doesn't support the slave mode at the moment. > So always enabling the master mode seems natural. (see my next comment > also concerning this matter) The commit message makes it sound like master mode is only supported for the newer versions. > > This makes the configuration unconditional, it's not gated by controller > > version checks or any kind of quirk any more meaning that if anything > We have already discussed this feature in v2: > https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/spi-devel-general/patch/20210824085856.12714-3-nandhini.srikandan@intel.com/ > Since that bit has been reserved before 1.02a but is no available for > any DWC SSI controller and the driver doesn't support the SPI-slave mode > at the moment I suggested to just always set that flag for the DWC SSI > code. Please see my reply to Nandhini here: Given that people seem to frequently customise these IPs when integrating them I wouldn't trust people not to have added some other control into that reserved bit doing some magic stuff that's useful in their system.