On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 09:53:39PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote: > On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:58:30AM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > Question for Jens and Christoph: > > > > Is there a way for userspace to detect whether a Linux block device > > supports SECDISCARD? > > I don't know of one. > > > If not, then maybe a new sysfs attribute can be added: > > This looks correct, but if we start looking into SECDISCARD seriously > I'd like to split the max_sectors settings for it from discard as that > is currently a bit of a mess. If we then expose the secure erase max > sectors in sysfs that would also be a good indicator. That is probably better because userspace would the queue limits information too. Thanks! > What is the use case for exposing secure erase in qemu? The whole > concept for a LBA based secure erase is generally not a very smart > idea for flash based media.. Yadong, please see Christoph's question above. Stefan