Hello, Our nightly performance testing found a performance regression when we rebased our devel tree onto v5.16-rc. This took me a few days to bisect down, but this patch 7fd7a9e0caba ("sched/fair: Trigger nohz.next_balance updates when a CPU goes NOHZ-idle") is the one that introduces the regression. My performance testing box is a 2 socket, with a model name "Intel(R) Xeon(R) Bronze 3204 CPU @ 1.90GHz", for a total of 12 cpu's reported in cpuinfo. It has 128gib of RAM, and these perf tests are being run against a SSD and spinning rust device, but the regression is consistent across both configurations. You can see the historical graph of the completion latencies for this specific run http://toxicpanda.com/performance/emptyfiles500k_write_clat_ns_p99.png Or for something a little more braindead (untar firefox) you can see a increase in the runtime http://toxicpanda.com/performance/untarfirefox_elapsed.png These two tests are single threaded, the regression doesn't appear to affect multi-threaded tests. For a simple reproducer you can simply download a tarball of the firefox sources and untar it onto a clean btrfs file system. The time before and after this commit goes up ~1-2 seconds on my machine. For a less simple test you can create a clean btrfs file system and run fio --name emptyfiles500k --create_on_open=1 --nrfiles=31250 --readwrite=write \ --readwrite=write --ioengine=filecreate --fallocate=none --filesize=4k \ --openfiles=1 --alloc-size 98304 --allrandrepeat=1 --randseed=12345 \ --directory And you are looking for the "Write clat ns p99" metric. You'll see a 5-10% increase in the latency time. If you want to run our tests directly it's relatively easy to setup, you can clone the fsperf repo https://github.com/josefbacik/fsperf Then in the fsperf directory edit the local.cfg and add [main] directory=/mnt/test [btrfs] device=/dev/sdc iosched=none mkfs=mkfs.btrfs -f mount=mount -o noatime And then run the following on the baseline kernel ./fsperf -p regression -c btrfs -n 10 emptyfiles500k This will run the test 10 times and save the results to the database. Then you can boot into your changed kernel and runn ./fsperf -p regrssion -c btrfs -n 10 -t emptyfiles500k This will run the test 10 times and take the average and compare it to the baseline and print out the values, you'll see the increase latency values there. I can reproduce this at will, if you want to just throw patches at me I'm happy to run it and let you know what happens. I'm attaching my .config as well in case that is needed, but the HZ and PREEMPT settings are CONFIG_NO_HZ_COMMON=y CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL=y CONFIG_NO_HZ=y CONFIG_HZ_1000=y CONFIG_PREEMPT=y CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y CONFIG_PREEMPTION=y CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y Thanks, Josef