On 2021-12-22 at 10:13:26, Fabian Stelzer wrote: > Hm. I have an identical centos 7.9 installation (same versions/features) and > the key is generated without issues. Does the VM maybe have not enough > entropy for generating a gpg key? > Otherwise we could of course pre-generate the key and commit it. I'm usually > not a fan of this since over time it can become unclear how it was generated > or if the committed version still matches what would be generated today. > But of course I don't want to slow down CI with rsa key generation stuff :/ > If missing entropy is the problem, then maybe CI could benefit from > something like haveged in general (other tests might want more entropy too). GnuPG is notorious for using /dev/random for generating keys, so yes, this is likely to block in a variety of situations. We don't see this on newer systems because they've replaced the blocking /dev/random with a non-blocking one except for when the CSPRNG hasn't been seeded at least once. The problem isn't lack of entropy, but the fact that there's no reason to use /dev/random since /dev/urandom is suitable for all cryptographic needs once initialized. On modern versions of Linux, one just uses getrandom(2), which deals with the uninitialized case and otherwise doesn't block. However, CentOS 7 is old. -- brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them) Toronto, Ontario, CA