From: "Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@redhat.com>
To: John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com>
Cc: qemu-devel <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>,
	Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>,
	Cleber Rosa <crosa@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: PyPI account
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:34:14 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:25:16PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > [Context: John created a PyPI QEMU user in order to publish the qemu.qmp
> > package. If anyone wants to publish additional Python packages from
> > qemu.git, please contact him for PyPI access.]
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:42:23PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> > > Account made: https://pypi.org/user/QEMU/
> > >
> > > I can't update the wiki, I lack admin perms to edit
> > > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts
> > >
> > > I assume in the event that I fall into a black hole or get launched
> > > out of a cannon into the sun, any mails sent to jsnow@redhat.com can
> > > be recovered by Red Hat in general, so there's a sufficient recourse
> > > for recovering the account in that circumstance.
> >
> > Thanks, I have added the PyPI QEMU user and added you as the admin
> > contact:
> > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts#Other_resources
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Thanks, Stefan!
>
> As additional context, there is currently a single package that
> belongs to that user, "qemu.qmp" [1]. I published it "in advance" to
> be able to test integration in an RFC patch set I posted to the list
> just before the winter break [2]. The package is an "alpha prerelease"
> and is at a very low-risk to be installed by accident. The version
> chosen here will be considered "less than" any other valid version
> string chosen, and can be deleted permanently from PyPI after
> consensus on list review. Please forgive the mid-review publishing.
> The exact metadata, wording of the README, etc is still under review
> here [3].
>
> As for the PyPI account itself, I have volunteered to administer it.
> If anyone wants access (esp. a leadership committee member from
> another employer), please contact me - I'm happy to share.

As a general rule we should ensure we always have 2 nominated people
with access to any account held on behalf of the QEMU project, so we
have some redundancy in case of unexpected events. So we definitely
ought to have a 2nd person with access to PyPI even if they do nothing
with it.

Regards,
Daniel