* Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-09 18:03 Ansar Kannankattil
From: Ansar Kannankattil @ 2022-02-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi
My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know
that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single
call.
But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of
mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets
If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-09 20:56 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-09 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansar Kannankattil; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:33:13 +0530
Ansar Kannankattil <ansarkannankat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know
> that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single
> call.
> But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of
> mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets
> If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together

It doesn't work that way.
tx_burst takes an array, not a chain.

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-09 22:18 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2022-02-09 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansar Kannankattil, dev

On 2/9/2022 6:03 PM, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:
> Hi
> My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single call.
> But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets

If driver supports, you can do it.
Driver should expose this capability via RTE_ETH_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS flag,
in 'dev_info->tx_offload_capa'.

> If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together

It is also used in Rx path (again if driver supports).

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-09 22:46   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-09 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: Ansar Kannankattil, dev

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:18:24 +0000
Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/2022 6:03 PM, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:
> > Hi
> > My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single call.
> > But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets
>
> If driver supports, you can do it.
> Driver should expose this capability via RTE_ETH_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS flag,
> in 'dev_info->tx_offload_capa'.
>
> > If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together
>
> It is also used in Rx path (again if driver supports).

I think Ansar was asking about chaining multiple packets in one call to tx burst.
The chaining in DPDK is to make a single packet out of multiple pieces (like writev).

DPDK mbufs were based on original BSD concept.
In BSD mbufs, mbuf has two linked lists.
  BSD m->m_next pointer == DPDK m->next  for multiple parts of packet.
  BSD m->m_nextpkt                       for next packet in queue

There is no nextpkt in DPDK.

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-10  8:56     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2022-02-10  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: Ansar Kannankattil, dev

On 2/9/2022 10:46 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:18:24 +0000
> Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2022 6:03 PM, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single call.
>>> But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets
>>
>> If driver supports, you can do it.
>> Driver should expose this capability via RTE_ETH_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS flag,
>> in 'dev_info->tx_offload_capa'.
>>
>>> If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together
>>
>> It is also used in Rx path (again if driver supports).
>
> I think Ansar was asking about chaining multiple packets in one call to tx burst.
> The chaining in DPDK is to make a single packet out of multiple pieces (like writev).
>
> DPDK mbufs were based on original BSD concept.
> In BSD mbufs, mbuf has two linked lists.
>    BSD m->m_next pointer == DPDK m->next  for multiple parts of packet.
>    BSD m->m_nextpkt                       for next packet in queue
>
> There is no nextpkt in DPDK.

Right, chaining mbufs is for segmented packets.

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-10 10:37       ` Ansar Kannankattil
From: Ansar Kannankattil @ 2022-02-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dev

Thanks for the responses,
Then what is the advantage of chaining mbuffs over using the mbuff array?

@ 2022-02-10 10:43         ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2022-02-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansar Kannankattil; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dev

On 2/10/2022 10:37 AM, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:

moved down, please avoid top post

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 2:26 PM Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com <mailto:ferruh.yigit@intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/9/2022 10:46 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>      > On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:18:24 +0000
>      > Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com <mailto:ferruh.yigit@intel.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >> On 2/9/2022 6:03 PM, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:
>      >>> Hi
>      >>> My intention is to decrease the number of rte_tx_eth_burst calls, I know that mentioning nb_pkts will result in sending multiple packets in a single call.
>      >>> But providing nb_pkts=1 and posting a head mbuff having number of mbuffs linked with it will results sending multiple packets
>      >>
>      >> If driver supports, you can do it.
>      >> Driver should expose this capability via RTE_ETH_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS flag,
>      >> in 'dev_info->tx_offload_capa'.
>      >>
>      >>> If not, what is the use case of linking multiple mbuffs together
>      >>
>      >> It is also used in Rx path (again if driver supports).
>      >
>      > I think Ansar was asking about chaining multiple packets in one call to tx burst.
>      > The chaining in DPDK is to make a single packet out of multiple pieces (like writev).
>      >
>      > DPDK mbufs were based on original BSD concept.
>      > In BSD mbufs, mbuf has two linked lists.
>      >    BSD m->m_next pointer == DPDK m->next  for multiple parts of packet.
>      >    BSD m->m_nextpkt                       for next packet in queue
>      >
>      > There is no nextpkt in DPDK.
>
>     Right, chaining mbufs is for segmented packets.
>

> Thanks for the responses,
> Then what is the advantage of chaining mbuffs over using the mbuff array?

If you have small packet buffer, mbufs can be chained to represent a big packet.
Or scattered buffers can be used to represent a packet by chaining.

Array is used to represent different packets.

* Re: Can I use rte_pktmbuf_chain to chain multiple mbuffs for calling only single tx_eth_burst API
@ 2022-02-10 11:36         ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-02-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansar Kannankattil; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, Stephen Hemminger, dev

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 04:07:02PM +0530, Ansar Kannankattil wrote:
>    Thanks for the responses,
>    Then what is the advantage of chaining mbuffs over using the mbuff
>    array?

They imply different things.
* An array of mbufs represents multiple packets.
* A chain of mbufs is a single packet.

Therefore, an array of three mbuf pointers always represents 3 packets.
Each one of the mbufs pointed to from that array may have multiple segments
i.e. chained via the next pointers, but that chain is still a single
packet.