In the past, we've discussed the possibility of using an automatic code formatter for Git. That discussion has, as we've seen, not led to us using one. I'd like to reopen the discussion and provide a couple reasons why I think it's a good idea. We've spent a lot of work encouraging newcomers to contribute to Git. It's demoralizing when your code comes back with many code style nits to fix, and it leads to a barrier to contribution. I also find that I am likely to take longer to reroll a series if there are many nits to be fixed, and I find that code style comments are a frequent discussion topic on my series (even though I generally try to be cognizant of them). Having a code formatting tool means that the work for a contributor to format the file properly consists of about two keystrokes. This substantially reduces the amount of time that contributors must spend thinking about code formatting and simplifies it to an automatic process that, if we choose, can even be verified in CI. Most projects written in languages like Rust or Go use an automatic formatter. In Go's case, the formatter is specifically stated to be a fixed style that is nobody's favourite, but because there's an automatic formatter, everybody just uses it. Personally, I don't love our coding style now (I'm a 4-space person in C), but I would love it a lot more if I didn't have to think about it. I am substantially less picky about what the style is than that we have an automated tool to tidy our code, and I'm okay with us producing the occasional slightly suboptimal style for the improved efficiency we get. The impetus for me bringing this up is that I'm rebasing the SHA-1/SHA-256 interop work to continue work on it and I find myself spending a lot of time cleaning up formatting that I could instead be spending on debugging why my tests are failing or writing new code. I would like to spend less time on boring scut work and more time solving interesting problems, as I'm sure we all would. I should point out that most platforms (and all major platforms) have clang and therefore I think clang-format should be a fine choice. It's highly configurable and will let us pick a style that most resembles the one we have now. However, I'm not picky and if we like something else better, great. As long as the option we pick is shipped in Debian, I'm for it. I should note that we already have a .clang-format file, so we can already use clang-format. However, we cannot blindly apply it because it produces output that is not always conformant with our style. My proposal here is to define our style in terms of the formatter to avoid this problem. Hopefully we can move forward with this discussion and come to some productive resolution. -- brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them) Toronto, Ontario, CA