On 2022-07-11 at 11:37:27, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote: > Our Documentation/CodingGuidelines mention that "We try to keep to at > most 80 characters per line", but in reality we have a lot of code > that runs afoul of that rule. > > Before & after this change running "make style-all-diff-apply" will > yield: > > 579 files changed, 32065 insertions(+), 29818 deletions(-) > 509 files changed, 13042 insertions(+), 12745 deletions(-) > > As with the preceding change what this leaves us with an unresolved > question though, should we have some stricter version of "make > style-all" that incorporates "ColumnLimit: 80", or perhaps apply it > only on "make style", but then what if someone modifies code that > happens to e.g. search/replace a line running afoul of the limit? > > Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason As mentioned upthread, I am fine with an 80-character limit. It's a reasonable choice and what's we've traditionally done. However, I don't think we should drop a limit altogether unless we're going to not bother people about this in code review. I would say that if people are going to want a limit on line length, then we should pick one. Now, we could well pick one that's longer than 80 characters. 132 is a common terminal size and it would avoid needing to rewrap all of those lines. But sticking with 80 columns is also fine, and we'll just need to send some patches accordingly. -- brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them) Toronto, Ontario, CA