From: Petko Manolov <petko.manolov@konsulko.com>
To: Alexander Stein <alexander.stein@ew.tq-group.com>
Cc: Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@jmondi.org>,
	linux-media@vger.kernel.org,
	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>,
	Xavier Roumegue <xavier.roumegue@oss.nxp.com>
Subject: Re: Re: imx8m-mini csi-2 limitations
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 18:44:19 +0300	[thread overview]

On 22-08-18 14:41:18, Alexander Stein wrote:
> Hi Petko,

Hi Alexander,

<snip>

> While it does not exactly answer your question, the i.MX8M Mini Datasheet
> (both for Commercial and Industrial) mentions "four-lane MIPI camera serial
> interfaces, which operates up to a maximum bit rate of 1.5 Gbps". I would
> assume the bridge is capable of handling the full link speed on four lanes,
> otherwise this would be quite useless.

Ahem, if that the case (useless), it won't be a first.

In theory the d-phy should support 2.5gbps, but in practice it is only 1.5gbps.
If CSIS to CSI (bridge) can't be made to transfer 16bit words for 12 bit raw
format and if the frequency between both can go up to 500mhz, this leaves us
with 4gbps (8bit x 500mhz) max bandwidth.

If the above calculation is correct, this leaves us with only one option - limit
the speed of the camera sensor.

cheers,
Petko