From: Colin Foster <colin.foster@in-advantage.com>
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>,
	Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org>,
	Kevin Hilman <khilman@kernel.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert+renesas@glider.be>
Subject: Re: boot stuck at starting kernel, due to __genpd_dev_pm_attach?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:27:56 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 08:23:07PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > You might have already gotten this report, but I tried running v6.0-rc1
> > on my BeagleBone Black and it gets stuck right after "Starting kernel
> > ..." from U-Boot.
> >
> > A bisect pointed me to commit 5a46079a9645 ("PM: domains: Delete usage
> > of driver_deferred_probe_check_state()").
> >
> > I don't have much more detail than that, other than I'm using the
> > in-tree am335x-boneblack.dts device tree and I believe I had tested with
> > the multi-v7-defconfig for this verification. I'm happy to test anything
> > that might offer more information.
>
> Well, standart next step is reverting 5a46079a9645 on top of v6.0-rc1,
> and if it starts working, either you get fix in your inbox, or you ask
> Linus to revert :-).

I was able to revert 5a46079a9645 and 9cbffc7a5956 and successfully boot
v6.0-rc1 on the Beaglebone Black.

I still don't know whether the root cause is the patch, or perhaps an
invalid boneblack DTS. I'll try and dig to get more info about what
might be failing. But I do think anyone using a Beaglebone will have
this issue, and I also think I'm not the only using the BBB.