* Sorting out osstest
@ 2022-09-15 15:24 Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2022-09-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, Ian Jackson; +Cc: anthony.perard

Hello,

There was a bit of a mess with osstest, changes have been pushed
directly into xenbits osstest.git#master.  The same changes have also
been pushed to testing.git#pretest (but it seems that with different
hashes).  Prestest however is not passing because of libvirt build
issues.

osstest.git#master:

8510c7df (origin/master, origin/HEAD) ts-libvirt-build: Rework to build with meson
f9d084ab TestSupport: Add support for installing from backport repo
b21b6e80 (testing/pretest) ts-xen-build-prep: Install newer NASM version, to build OVMF
2cffc6ec (testing/production, testing/master, refs/patches/fix_efi/debian-hvm-cd-update) osstest: update Debian Buster install CD media to 10.12
dc762d67 osstest: install irqbalance

testing.git#pretest:

12c254e (HEAD -> pretest) ts-libvirt-build: Rework to build with meson
c2c2f5a TestSupport: Add support for installing from backport repo
b21b6e8 (production, master) ts-xen-build-prep: Install newer NASM version, to build OVMF
2cffc6e osstest: update Debian Buster install CD media to 10.12
dc762d6 osstest: install irqbalance

My plan would be to pick osstest.git#master, add my libvirt fix on
top of it:

https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20220913100328.27771-1-roger.pau@citrix.com/

And then force push the result into testing.git#pretest in order to
overwrite the current pretest branch and have it based on
osstest.git#master.

I would then expect the pretest flight to succeed and do a fast
forward push into xenbits osstest.git#master.

Let me know if that sounds like a suitable plan.

Thanks, Roger.

* Re: Sorting out osstest
@ 2022-09-15 15:38 ` Anthony PERARD
From: Anthony PERARD @ 2022-09-15 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Jackson

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 05:24:22PM +0200, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There was a bit of a mess with osstest, changes have been pushed
> directly into xenbits osstest.git#master.  The same changes have also
> been pushed to testing.git#pretest (but it seems that with different
> hashes).  Prestest however is not passing because of libvirt build
> issues.
>
> osstest.git#master:
>
> 8510c7df (origin/master, origin/HEAD) ts-libvirt-build: Rework to build with meson
> f9d084ab TestSupport: Add support for installing from backport repo
> b21b6e80 (testing/pretest) ts-xen-build-prep: Install newer NASM version, to build OVMF
> 2cffc6ec (testing/production, testing/master, refs/patches/fix_efi/debian-hvm-cd-update) osstest: update Debian Buster install CD media to 10.12
> dc762d67 osstest: install irqbalance
>
> testing.git#pretest:
>
> 12c254e (HEAD -> pretest) ts-libvirt-build: Rework to build with meson
> c2c2f5a TestSupport: Add support for installing from backport repo
> b21b6e8 (production, master) ts-xen-build-prep: Install newer NASM version, to build OVMF
> 2cffc6e osstest: update Debian Buster install CD media to 10.12
> dc762d6 osstest: install irqbalance
>
> My plan would be to pick osstest.git#master, add my libvirt fix on
> top of it:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20220913100328.27771-1-roger.pau@citrix.com/
>
> And then force push the result into testing.git#pretest in order to
> overwrite the current pretest branch and have it based on
> osstest.git#master.
>
> I would then expect the pretest flight to succeed and do a fast
> forward push into xenbits osstest.git#master.
>
> Let me know if that sounds like a suitable plan.

Yes, that plan sound good to me. Just one thing, `git checkout master`
in testing.git as at the moment "pretest" is the current branch.

Cheers,

--
Anthony PERARD

* osstest branch refs and self-push-gate Re: Sorting out osstest
@ 2022-09-16  0:11   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2022-09-16  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony PERARD; +Cc: Roger Pau Monné, xen-devel

Anthony PERARD writes ("Re: Sorting out osstest"):
> Yes, that plan sound good to me. Just one thing, `git checkout master`
> in testing.git as at the moment "pretest" is the current branch.

Yes.

Here's an overview of what's (supposed) to exist and happen.

There are:

   osstest:~osstest/testing.git #pretest

        Push here to update osstest.  Need not be fast forwarding.  So
	if something is doomed, or you cancel te self-test flight by
	killing sg-execute-flight, you can rewind it.  You can also
	update this while a self-test is running, like any osstest
	input branch.

	If it is not ff from #master, even a successful self-test
	won't be able to update master.

   osstest:~osstest/testing.git  #master
   xenbits:osstest.git           #master

        Tested version.  Normally, automatically updated
        from pretest after a successful self-test.
        Both refs are supposed to be updated in step.

        To force push, ie, push something manually without a
	self-test, you can use ./ap-push.  Don't use git push (ap-push
	updates both refs).

        For other trees, to perform a force push, ./mg-force-push
	is better since it can perform additional checks.

   xenbits:~osstest/osstest-massachusetts.git #refs/heads/flight-NNN

        Permanent record of the osstest code which ran some flight.
	Separated because of git's poor perf with trees with so many
	refs.

HTH.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.