From: Johan Hovold <johan@kernel.org>
To: Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski@linaro.org>
Cc: Andy Gross <agross@kernel.org>,
	Bjorn Andersson <andersson@kernel.org>,
	Konrad Dybcio <konrad.dybcio@somainline.org>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	"devicetree@vger.kernel.org" <devicetree@vger.kernel.org>,
	Dmitry Baryshkov <dmitry.baryshkov@linaro.org>,
	Alex Elder <elder@linaro.org>,
	Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org>,
	Manivannan Sadhasivam <manivannan.sadhasivam@linaro.org>,
	Bhupesh Sharma <bhupesh.sharma@linaro.org>,
	Abel Vesa <abel.vesa@linaro.org>,
	Bryan O'Donoghue <bryan.odonoghue@linaro.org>,
	Robert Foss <robert.foss@linaro.org>,
	Srinivas Kandagatla <srinivas.kandagatla@linaro.org>,
	Johan Hovold <johan+linaro@kernel.org>,
	Luca Weiss <luca.weiss@fairphone.com>,
	Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@linaro.org>,
	Stephan Gerhold <stephan@gerhold.net>,
	Caleb Connolly <kc@postmarketos.org>
Subject: Re: Qualcomm DT bindings and DTS cleanups - tracking community wide
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:07:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:39:22AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 10:21, Johan Hovold wrote:
> >> What to track:
> >> 1. Which bindings to convert to YAML,
> >> 2. Missing compatibles (either entirely or because of missing conversion),
> >> 3. `dt_binding_check` warnings (usually connected with 1-2),
> >> 4. `dtbs_check` warnings.
> >>
> >> Rob's bot gives us daily output for 1-4, but how can we track current
> >> efforts to avoid duplication of work? Also it would allow people to find
> >> tasks for them to get contributions to Linux kernel :). Is anyone in
> >> community interested in tracking it together, in a public way?
> >
> > Is this a real problem that needs fixing? I mean how often does it
> > happen that people submit the same YAML conversion for example? Since it
> > doesn't take that long to do a conversion, I'm not sure what tracking
> > this on some webpage buys us. It's better to just search lore before
> > starting a new conversion. Or search the linux-next tree to see what's
> > still pending.
>
> In terms of DT bindings conversion to DT schema:
> If I were not checking for ongoing work, I would duplicate effort like
> ~10 times. Few other folks hit it few times, at least. Several bindings
> are being converted for ~1 year!

Ok, but the conversion itself doesn't take that long even if getting it
merged and fixing up new warnings may take some time.

And after the initial posting, a quick lore search allows you to find
any on-going conversion efforts.

Perhaps that can just be mentioned in a wiki-page of sorts that lists
remaining conversions with some suggestions for how best to go about
things.

> In terms of DTS warnings - it's difficult even to check/search. For what
> do you search? Warnings? Pretty often they are not part of commit msg.
> By file? Then you might have many, many unrelated search results.

I wasn't suggesting to use lore for warnings, but searching the lists
for changes to a particular dts before embarking on a clean up doesn't
seem unreasonable.

> > Similarly for the other points above, as it doesn't take very long to
> > add a missing compatible or fix a warning it seems a bit excessive to
> > try to track this manually.
>
> True, some are trivial. Some however need fixing the binding which takes
> time.

Right.

> > Perhaps a list of pending conversions or missing compatibles could be
> > useful for someone who's short on work, but it's bound to get outdated
> > pretty quickly.
>
> Another point is to have the visibility on the amount of work to be
> done. But I understand that's maybe topic just for few, e.g. me, so I
> can just track stuff for myself.

Yeah, I don't think that any such extra process should be needed outside
a small group that may potentially be working on cleaning up bindings
and dts in bulk.

If you were to maintain such a list of pending and on-going conversions
for yourself, perhaps making that public is all that's needed here?

Johan