On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 11:45:46AM +0200, Maxime Chevallier wrote: > Mark Brown wrote: > > It is not at all clear to me that the combination of stride and > > downshift particularly makes sense, and especially not that the > > stride should be applied after downshifting rather than to what > > the user is passing in. > I agree on the part where the ordering of "adding and offset, then > down/upshifting" isn't natural. This is the order in which operations > are done today, and from what I could gather, only the ocelot-spi MFD > driver uses both of these operations. Right. I don't think the ordering is particularly intentional, like I say it's not clear that combinding the two makes sense so I think it just wasn't considered at all.