Hi Tomi, > How does this sound: > > - If "i2c-alias-pool" is present in the DT data of the device passed to > i2c_atr_new(), i2c_atr_new() will parse the property. i2c-atr.c will export > functions to get a new alias and to release a previously reserved alias. The > driver can use those functions in attach/detach_client() callbacks. In other > words, the alias pool management wouldn't be fully automatic inside the > i2c-atr, but it would provide helpers for the driver to do the common work. > > - If "i2c-alias-pool" is not present, i2c-atr.c will behave as it does now, > and expects the driver to manage the aliases. So, how does a driver manage the aliases without a pool of available addresses? I can't imagine another way right now. In general, your above proposal sounds good to me. With my lack of imagination regarding a different alias handling, I could also see that i2c-atr already provides the alias to the attach callback. But if you teach me another way of alias handling, then I could agree that your proposal makes sense as is. And yes, the "i2c-alias-pool" is definately optional. Happy hacking, Wolfram