* Git operations during parse
@ 2021-09-13 18:23 david.weidenkopf
From: david.weidenkopf @ 2021-09-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

It appears that during bitbake parse phase, git operations are performed. Is this true? It seems that network operations are performed before the dependency tree is computed. As a result, a build may fail in the parse phase due to a failure to reach a git repo that ultimately is not needed because the package it is in does not end up in the dependency tree. Is that correct?

* Re: [bitbake-devel] Git operations during parse
@ 2021-09-13 21:51 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-09-13 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.weidenkopf, bitbake-devel

On Mon, 2021-09-13 at 11:23 -0700, david.weidenkopf@arthrex.com wrote:
> It appears that during bitbake parse phase, git operations are performed.

It depends how you have recipes and bitbake configured. It can be configured
such that sources are pulled from upstream git repos which are checked for
updates or it can be configured such that it doesn't touch the network at all.

> Is this true? It seems that network operations are performed before the
> dependency tree is computed. As a result, a build may fail in the parse phase
> due to a failure to reach a git repo that ultimately is not needed because the
> package it is in does not end up in the dependency tree. Is that correct?

Depending on the configuration that could happen, but it can be configured such
that it doesn't/can't.

We do recommend recipes don't default to touching the network.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Git operations during parse
@ 2021-09-13 23:08   ` david.weidenkopf