From: Sicelo <absicsz@gmail.com>
To: Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com>
Cc: ofono@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Improper Handling for Messages That Do Not Specify Source/Address Port
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 22:29:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Denis

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 12:34:29PM -0600, Denis Kenzior wrote:
> Hi Sicelo,
>
> On 11/10/23 04:20, Sicelo wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > While running ofono in debug mode, I discovered that there are certain
> > types of sms-like messages that arrive in ofono core, but are discarded
> > without being sent to the client. For these, the ofono log shows a lot
> > of:
> >
> >    ofonod[3424627]: Got an 8-bit encoded message, however no valid src/address port, ignore
> >

> When that code was written, this was what the spec wanted.  There was no way
> to identify the 8-bit character set of SMS messages, any 8-bit messages had
> to be a binary SMS with port/destination provided.
>
> Maybe this has changed since, but I'd need some link / document to refer to ...

I am also not sure, but on an Android phone, for example, it shows up
somewhat similar to what most of us call flash messages.

> > These messages are valid, and ofono should not discard them. In my case,
> > for example, the messages come in while connected to mobile data. They
> > are sent by the carrier periodically to notify me about the credit that
> > has been deducted from my prepaid plan.
>
> Sure, so how does oFono interpret these? ASCII? Latin1? UTF8?

From tracing on isimodem on the Nokia N900, it seemed to be plain ASCII,
i.e. one byte-per-character. Unfortunately this message is carrier
initiated, so I don't have an easy way to get them to send it at will.

When I eventually get to it, I guess I will start by testing with
commenting out the code that checks for the src/dst port, and see where
things go.

Sicelo