On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 02:48:09PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote: > On 12.03.2024 17:25, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote: > > The IOMMU driver checks if RMRR/IVMD are marked as reserved in memory > > map. This should be true for addresses coming from the firmware, but > > when extra pages used by Xen itself are included in the mapping, those > > are taken from usable RAM used. Mark those pages as reserved too. > > > > Not marking the pages as reserved didn't caused issues before due to > > another a bug in IOMMU driver code, that was fixed in 83afa3135830 > > ("amd-vi: fix IVMD memory type checks"). > > > > Failing to reserve memory will lead to panic in IOMMU setup code. And > > not including the page in IOMMU mapping will lead to broken console (due > > to IOMMU faults). The pages chosen by the XHCI console driver should > > still be usable by the CPU though, and the console code already can deal > > with too slow console by dropping characters (and console not printing > > anything is a special case of "slow"). When reserving fails print an error > > message showing which pages failed and who requested them. This should > > be enough hint to find why XHCI console doesn't work. > > > > Fixes: 3a1a7b809ffa "drivers/char: mark DMA buffers as reserved for the XHCI" > > Signed-off-by: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki > > --- > > Alternative error handling could be a panic, but with this version I > > think it can be avoided. And not panicing gives a better chance to > > actually see the error message (from the hopefully started dom0), > > especially as the affected driver is the console one. > > > > The reserve_e820_ram() is x86-specific. Is there some equivalent API for > > ARM, or maybe even some abstract one? That said, I have no way to test > > XHCI console on ARM, I don't know if such hardware even exists... > > These are normal PCI devices, so I don't see why they shouldn't be usable > on non-x86 systems. But this is all okay as long as XHCI depends on X86 > in Kconfig. That's why I'm asking for similar API for ARM. The x86-specific part here is only about IOMMU, other parts should work just fine (but as I said, I have no way to test). Anyway, I'll leave it to whoever will need this driver on ARM (or other arch). -- Best Regards, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki Invisible Things Lab