From: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: tools@linux.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Checks for recipients
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:23:19 +0900	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 09:37:46PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 14:48, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> > It would be nice for scripting if b4 had a check similar to the
> > needs-editing flag in show-info which would allow scripts wrapping it to
> > determine if there are any recipients specified for the series.

> I added some stuff today that introduces "pre-flight checks." I'm not
> sure if it's quite what you were looking for, but --show-info will now
> give you the following data:

> - if prep --check needs to be (re-)run

I can see this being useful but I am not personally going want to
incorporate this into my scripting as checkpatch is just far too prone
to false positives, especially with anything that isn't a simple C file.

> - if prep --auto-to-cc needs to be (re-)run

I similarly wouldn't want to to do this as there are cases where it
pulls in too many people (mainly cases where you only want to send
things to submaintainers rather than including everyone that gets pulled
in automatically).

> It doesn't try to be very clever -- basically, if the tip-commit of
> your series changes, we assume that you'll want to rerun the
> prep-check and prep-auto-to-cc, -- but it's effective. I just hope we
> are striking the right balance between "useful" and "annoying." :)

> Can you give it a try and let me know what you think?

I think for the issue I was reporting above just showing the recipieints
in show-info would be enough, all I'm looking to check for is that the
list isn't empty.