From: Kuan-Wei Chiu <visitorckw@gmail.com>
To: Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@linux.dev>
Cc: Coly Li <colyli@suse.de>,
	Matthew Mirvish <matthew@mm12.xyz>
Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the refactor-heap tree with the block tree
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 11:07:11 +0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, May 09, 2024 at 07:16:31PM -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 06:44:29AM +0800, Kuan-Wei Chiu wrote:

> > > Coli and Kuan, you guys will need to get this sorted out quick if we
> > > want refactor-heap to make the merge window
> >
> > Hi Coli and Kent,
> >
> > If I understand correctly, the reported bug is because we attempted to
> > point (heap)->data to a dynamically allocated memory , but at that time
> > (heap)->data was not a regular pointer but a fixed size array with a
> > length of MAX_BSETS.
> >
> > In my refactor heap patch series, I introduced a preallocated array and
> > decided in min_heap_init() whether the data pointer should point to an
> > incoming pointer or to the preallocated array. Therefore, I am
> > wondering if my patch might have unintentionally fixed this bug?
> >
> > I am unsure how to reproduce the reported issue. Could you assist me in
> > verifying whether my assumption is correct?
>
> This is a merge conflict, not a runtime. Can you rebase onto Coli's
> tree? We'll have to retest.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding I caused. When I mentioned "bug" [1]
earlier, I was referring to the bug addressed in
3a861560ccb3 ("bcache: fix variable length array abuse in btree_iter"),
not a merge conflict.

Here are the results after the rebase:
https://github.com/visitorckw/linux.git refactor-heap

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2039368