Hi Am 21.05.22 um 04:49 schrieb Benjamin Herrenschmidt: > On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 09:27 +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote: > >> to build without PCI to see what happens. > > If you bring any of the "heuristic" and palette support code in, you > need PCI. I don't see any reason to take it out. > >> Those old Macs use BootX, right? BootX is not supported ATM, as I don't >> have the HW to test. Is there an emulator for it? > > It isn't ? When did it break ? :-) I meant that BootX is not (yet) supported by this new driver. The Linux kernel overall probably supports it. > >> If anyone what's to make patches for BootX, I'd be happy to add them. >> The offb driver also supports a number of special cases for palette >> handling. That might be necessary for ofdrm as well. > > The palette handling is useful when using a real Open Firmware > implementation which tends to boot in 8-bit mode, so without palette > things will look ... bad. > > It's not necessary when using 16/32 bpp framebuffers which is typically > ... what BootX provides :-) Maybe the odd color formats can be tested via qemu. I don't mind adding DRM support for BootX displays, but getting the necessary test HW with a suitable Linux seems to be laborious. Would a G4 Powerbook work? Best regard Thomas > > Cheers, > Ben. > >> Best regards >> Thomas >> >>> Gr{oetje,eeting}s, >>> >>> Geert >>> >>> -- >>> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org >>> >>> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But >>> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. >>> -- Linus Torvalds >> >> -- >> Thomas Zimmermann >> Graphics Driver Developer >> SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH >> Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany >> (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) >> Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev > -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev