From: "Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)" <alx.manpages@gmail.com>
To: Christian Aistleitner <christian@quelltextlich.at>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>,
	"linux-man@vger.kernel.org" <linux-man@vger.kernel.org>,
	John Marshall <John.W.Marshall@glasgow.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Man-pages Git repository
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 12:44:28 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Christian,

On 3/22/22 10:49, Christian Aistleitner wrote:
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:55:55PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
>> [...]
>> but rather that if someone wants the latest development pages
>> one can search my private repo,
>
> When preparing a patch a few days ago, I ran into the same situation
> as OP, and I failed to find your private repo.
>
> I did manage to find https://github.com/mkerrisk/man-pages but that
> seemed to lag as well, when comparing to the patches marked as merged
> on the mailing list. (Just as other forks on GitHub did)
>
> While I also think that it would be nice to have the canonical repo
> updated, I can of course also see the isseus of getting push access to
> kernel.org.
>
> So as a kind of stop-gap mitigation (?), I've set up
> https://github.com/somechris/man-pages
>
> It's a read-only clone of your repo.
> This clone gets updated hourly from your private repo.
> The description holds a reference to your repo and this thread.
> And since it's on GitHub it'll hopefully help get picked up by search
> engines and help to better expose the freshly merged commits from your
> repo, and help people to create patches against your up-to-date repo.

Thank you very much :)

I already had a github man-pages repo[1],
but don't like github policies very much[2],
and in general, I don't trust big corporations to keep my stuff,
so I decided to remove all of my personal repos from github[3],
and I kept the man-pages one just to help contributors.

[1]: <https://github.com/alejandro-colomar/man-pages>

[2]: <https://twitter.com/sgomez/status/1480148595059965956>

[3]: Incidentally, just a day before [2] happened,
      I removed all of my personal repos from github.
      Quite a coincidence.

> Have fun,
> Christian
>

> P.S.: If you think that yet-another-linux-man-pages-repo-on-GitHub is
> counter-productive or you object to have your server queried for new
> commits every hour, please let me know and I'll tear that repo down
> again.

a) Not really, and that's your decision.  But if you ask me, if I have
to choose between (too) many forks/mirrors, or just a single source of
truth, I prefer many.  When things go wrong, mirrors/forks save the world.

b) Nah, I don't mind that kind of traffic.  Go ahead.  What I don't
promise is that my server will respond always; I may turn it off for
maintenance without notice.

Cheers,

Alex

--