From: Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org>
To: mtk.manpages@gmail.com, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@jwilk.net>
Cc: linux-man <linux-man@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: core(5)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 22:16:28 +0100	[thread overview]

On 06/06/2020 20:39, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 20:32, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@jwilk.net> wrote:
>>
>> * Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org>, 2020-06-06, 16:45:
>>> How can the process start if the binary file doesn't have read
>>> permissions enabled?
>>
>> It's a bit weird, but the kernel doesn't mind:
>>
>>     $ cp /bin/ls .
>>     $ chmod a-r ls
>>     $ ./ls -l ls
>>     --wx--x--x 1 jwilk jwilk 138856 Jun  6 20:22 ls
>
> And from core(5):
>
>         There are various circumstances in which a core dump file  is  not
>         produced:
>         *  The binary being executed by the process  does  not  have  read
>            permission enabled.
>
> So, the binary can be executed, but not read, and will not do a core
> dump (since that might be readable).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael, Jakub,

It sounds like a good security feature. Could that be documented on the man page as the reason?

ie something like this:

*  The binary being executed by the process  does  not  have  read
permission enabled, therefore a core file would reveal information in a readable file, so it cannot be dumped.

Cheers
Jonny