From: Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com>
To: Duncan Townsend <duncancmt@gmail.com>
Cc: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] thin: pool target too small
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 20:49:27 +0200	[thread overview]

Dne 23. 09. 20 v 20:13 Duncan Townsend napsal(a):
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 5:02 PM Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com
>
> dmeventd does write its PID file into the correct directory in the
> post-initramfs root, so whatever's happening is some weird hybrid. I'll debug
> this further with my distro.
>
>     So I think to prevent repeated occurrence of this problem - you'll need
>     to ensure your system-booting will follow the pattern from distros
>     like Fedora.
>

> I think for now, the easiest solution may be to try to stop dmeventd from
> being started by dracut.

Basically all you need to do for dracut (with reagards to dmeventd) is to
setup inside dracut environemnt  'monitoring=0'  in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf there.
(so when it's copied system's lvm.conf there - replace with sed/awk...)

Also there is   'metadata_read_only=1' setting that can be useful for
dracut environment.

Dracut needs some bigger fixing on its own - but ATM we simply can't
provide set of features we would like to have.

> I have encountered a further problem in the process of restoring my thin pool
> to a working state. After using vgcfgrestore to fix the mismatching metadata
> using the file Zdenek kindly provided privately, when I try to activate my
> thin LVs, I'm now getting the error message:
>
> Thin pool <THIN POOL LONG NAME>-tpool transaction_id (MAJOR:MINOR)
> transaction_id is XXX, while expected YYY.
Set the transaction_id to the right number in the ASCII lvm2 metadata file.

Zdenek