All of lore.kernel.org
From: Ivan Shapovalov <intelfx@intelfx.name>
To: Filipe Manana <fdmanana@kernel.org>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [6.7 regression] [BISECTED] 28270e25c69a causes overallocation of metadata space
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:21:27 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2024-01-17 at 11:28 +0000, Filipe Manana wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 6:04 AM Ivan Shapovalov
> <intelfx@intelfx.name> wrote:
> >
> > <...>
> > # first bad commit: [28270e25c69a2c76ea1ed0922095bffb9b9a4f98]
> > btrfs: always reserve space for delayed refs when starting
> > transaction
>
> This sounds like the generally more pessimistic metadata reservation
> is triggering allocation of many metadata block groups
> that never get used and then unused and therefore not
> reclaimed/deleted. Not something impossible to happen before that,
> but much more likely due to more reserved space.
>
> I'll send some fixes.
>
> Did you actually run into -ENOSPC issues?

No, I did not wait around for a ENOSPC -- I noticed the issue when my
monitoring told me that there was almost no unallocated space left (on
my personal server's rootfs the situation was even worse than on the fs
above, there was around 200G of metadata logical space allocated with
only 13G used).

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /