Hi Am 12.10.22 um 15:12 schrieb Arnd Bergmann: > On Wed, Oct 12, 2022, at 2:00 PM, Thomas Zimmermann wrote: >> >> Could well be. But ofdrm intents to replace offb and this test has >> worked well in offb for almost 15 yrs. If there are bug reports, I'm >> happy to take patches, but until then I see no reason to change it. > > I wouldn't change the code in offb unless a user reports a bug, > but I don't see a point in adding the same mistake to ofdrm if we > know it can't work on real hardware. As I said, this has worked with offb and apparently on real hardware. For all I know, ATI hardware (before it became AMD) was used in PPC Macintoshs and assumed big-endian access on those machines. > I tried to find out where this is configured in qemu, but it seems > to depend on the framebuffer backend there: most are always little-endian, > ati/bochs/vga-pci/virtio-vga are configurable from the guest through > some register setting, but vga.c picks a default from the > 'TARGET_WORDS_BIGENDIAN' macro, which I think is set differently > between qemu-system-ppc64le and qemu-system-ppc64. > > If you are using the framebuffer code from vga.c, I would guess that > that you can run a big-endian kernel with qemu-system-ppc64, > or a little-endian kernel with qemu-system-ppc64le and get the > correct colors, while running a little-endian kernel with > qemu-system-ppc64 and vga.c, or using a different framebuffer > emulation on a big-endian kernel would give you the wrong colors. If qemu doesn't give us the necessary DT property, it's a qemu bug. In in the absence of the property, picking the kernel's endianess is a sensible choice. Best regards Thomas > > Which combinations did you actually test? > > Arnd -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev