* cyclictest + cobalt
@ 2021-07-01 14:23 Rui Queiroz
From: Rui Queiroz @ 2021-07-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I have no experience with Xenomai and I was wondering if someone could
clarify if cyclictest is included in Xenomai 3.1?
Here [1] says "cyclictest is part of the Xenomai test suite..." but I could
not confirm it.

If I simply install the rt-tests package and run cyclictest will it take
advantage of the cobalt "kernel" by default or do I need to preform some
extra steps (activate a posix skin etc)

Thank you

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/groovy/en/man1/cyclictest.1.html

* Re: cyclictest + cobalt
@ 2021-07-01 16:19 ` Pierre FICHEUX
From: Pierre FICHEUX @ 2021-07-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rui Queiroz; +Cc: xenomai

AFAIK cyclictest uses the POSIX skin.

The Xenomai version is based on rt-tests 0.92 (current version is 2.1).

I do prefer using "latency" for Xenomai.

Regards

--

Pierre FICHEUX -/- CTO Smile ECS, France -\- pierre.ficheux@smile.fr
                             http://www.smile.fr

* Re: cyclictest + cobalt
@ 2021-07-01 16:41   ` Rui Queiroz
From: Rui Queiroz @ 2021-07-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre FICHEUX; +Cc: xenomai

When you say

> The Xenomai version is based on rt-tests 0.92 (current version is 2.1).

Do you mean that there is an embedded cyclictest?

I could not find any trace of cyclictest. I had to install it using apt and
the rt-tests package.

I see a huge difference when executing cyclictest after booting with the
xenomai kernel vs the vanilla but how can I be sure that it is using cobalt?

Pierre FICHEUX via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> escreveu no dia quinta,
1/07/2021 à(s) 17:20:

@ 2021-07-01 17:04     ` Pierre FICHEUX
From: Pierre FICHEUX @ 2021-07-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rui Queiroz; +Cc: xenomai

Cyclictest is included in the rt-tests package.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/rt-tests/rt-tests.git/

rt-tests is provided with Buildroot or Yocto (well known build systems for
embedded Linux).

@ 2021-07-02  6:23 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-07-02  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rui Queiroz, xenomai

On 01.07.21 16:23, Rui Queiroz via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no experience with Xenomai and I was wondering if someone could
> clarify if cyclictest is included in Xenomai 3.1?
> Here [1] says "cyclictest is part of the Xenomai test suite..." but I could
> not confirm it.
>
> If I simply install the rt-tests package and run cyclictest will it take
> advantage of the cobalt "kernel" by default or do I need to preform some
> extra steps (activate a posix skin etc)
>
> Thank you
>

> [1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/groovy/en/man1/cyclictest.1.html

Xenomai carries a slight adjusted but likely significantly outdated
version of cyclictest in-tree [2], primarily for demonstration purposes.
The "official" test is called "latency" [3], and that one is also part
of our regular testsuite.

Jan

[2]
https://source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/-/tree/master/demo/posix/cyclictest