From: Nathan Neulinger <nneul@neulinger.org>
To: Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Recent changes for the unsafe directory handling - TINY improvement requested in error output
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:29:43 -0500	[thread overview]

On 4/20/22 01:16, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 4/19/22 18:26, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>> However, if you do a 'git diff' - such as what you might naturally do right before attempting a 'git commit' - you do NOT get any useful response:
>>
>>    root@SERVER:/local/APPNAME/bin# git diff
>>    warning: Not a git repository. Use --no-index to compare two paths outside a working tree
>>    ...snip-long-diff-help...
>>
>> Please consider a small improvement to have the git diff help output (if displayed due to the repo exclusion warning) - ALSO display the 'git config' suggestion at the end of the output, instead of me having to remember - oh, go issue status to get the command hint to go set the exclusion. Would also be useful to have the git diff output do the same 'unsafe repository' message about ownership.
>>

> I assumed that you have /local/APPNAME/bin shared by users (maybe via
> NFS or something else), right?

Actually, each /local/APPUSER is the base of the clone - dev environment on master/main, test env on 'test' and prod env
on 'production'.

Depending on the deployment we're either logging in directly as the application, or as common or admin accounts that
have access over multiple application directory trees. The applications themselves each have their own userid for
permissions isolation.

-- Nathan
Nathan Neulinger                       nneul@neulinger.org
Neulinger Consulting                   (573) 612-1412