* [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 5
@ 2021-06-19 13:32 Atharva Raykar
From: Atharva Raykar @ 2021-06-19 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git List; +Cc: Christian Couder, Shourya Shukla, Kaartic Sivaraam

Here's the latest instalment of my weekly Git blog:
http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5

A peek at what's inside:

 * The blog starts with a summary of all the relevant things
   that have happened so far in my time with Git, including
   the status of my submodule-related work.

 * A question I had about reading the index into memory
   (any kind of help would be appreciated!):
   http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5#some-challenges-with-the-changes-that-are-cooking

 * Reflections, mostly as a note to myself and to people who
   might be in a similar position as me in the future.

Have a great weekend :)

---
Atharva Raykar
ಅಥರ್ವ ರಾಯ್ಕರ್
अथर्व रायकर

* Re: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 5
@ 2021-06-20  5:52 ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2021-06-20  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atharva Raykar; +Cc: Git List, Shourya Shukla, Kaartic Sivaraam

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Atharva Raykar <raykar.ath@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the latest instalment of my weekly Git blog:
> http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5

Great!

Just a note about:

> if (ps_matched[0]) {
>      if (!force)
>          die(_("'%s' already exists in the index"), path);
>      else if (!S_ISGITLINK(active_cache[i]->ce_mode))

The "else" above is not needed.

>          die(_("'%s' already exists in the index "
>              "and is not a submodule"), path);
>      break;
> }

> A peek at what's inside:
>
>  * The blog starts with a summary of all the relevant things
>    that have happened so far in my time with Git, including
>    the status of my submodule-related work.
>
>  * A question I had about reading the index into memory
>    (any kind of help would be appreciated!):
>    http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5#some-challenges-with-the-changes-that-are-cooking
>
>  * Reflections, mostly as a note to myself and to people who
>    might be in a similar position as me in the future.
>
> Have a great weekend :)
>
> ---
> Atharva Raykar
> ಅಥರ್ವ ರಾಯ್ಕರ್
> अथर्व रायकर

* Re: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 5
@ 2021-06-20 19:16 ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2021-06-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atharva Raykar; +Cc: Christian Couder, Shourya Shukla, Git List

On 19/06/21 7:02 pm, Atharva Raykar wrote:
> Here's the latest instalment of my weekly Git blog:
> http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5

Nice blog.

> A peek at what's inside:
>
>   * The blog starts with a summary of all the relevant things
>     that have happened so far in my time with Git, including
>     the status of my submodule-related work.
>
>   * A question I had about reading the index into memory
>     (any kind of help would be appreciated!):
>     http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5#some-challenges-with-the-changes-that-are-cooking

I've tried to clarify this to an extent in a comment [1] on your branch.

A few other things:

> After Rafael and Eric commented on my patch, I forgot to CC them when
> I rerolled. New contributors: please check your CC’s before hitting send!

To add to that, Cc-ing people in the e-mail of all the patches in the series
and not just in the cover letter would be nice too. :) Of course, if you have
a specific reason to not do that, then it's fine.

> And my other blooper was to forget signing off one of my patches. Oops.

Are you aware of `format.signOff` [2] which could save you from issues
like these?

[1]: https://github.com/tfidfwastaken/git/commit/3c46c108a195c42edaab939ab6dd6731e52aefc3#r52396546

[2]: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#Documentation/git-config.txt-formatsignOff

--
Sivaraam

* Re: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 5
@ 2021-06-21  6:20   ` Atharva Raykar
From: Atharva Raykar @ 2021-06-21  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder; +Cc: Git List, Shourya Shukla, Kaartic Sivaraam

On 20-Jun-2021, at 11:22, Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Atharva Raykar <raykar.ath@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here's the latest instalment of my weekly Git blog:
>> http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5
>
> Great!
>
> Just a note about:
>
>> if (ps_matched[0]) {
>>     if (!force)
>>         die(_("'%s' already exists in the index"), path);
>>     else if (!S_ISGITLINK(active_cache[i]->ce_mode))
>
> The "else" above is not needed.

Noted. Thanks!

* Re: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 5
@ 2021-06-21  6:28   ` Atharva Raykar
From: Atharva Raykar @ 2021-06-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam; +Cc: Christian Couder, Shourya Shukla, Git List

On 21-Jun-2021, at 00:46, Kaartic Sivaraam <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/06/21 7:02 pm, Atharva Raykar wrote:
>> Here's the latest instalment of my weekly Git blog:
>> http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5
>>

> Nice blog.
>
>> A peek at what's inside:
>>  * The blog starts with a summary of all the relevant things
>>    that have happened so far in my time with Git, including
>>    the status of my submodule-related work.
>>  * A question I had about reading the index into memory
>>    (any kind of help would be appreciated!):
>>    http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week5#some-challenges-with-the-changes-that-are-cooking
>
> I've tried to clarify this to an extent in a comment [1] on your branch.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

> A few other things:
>
>> After Rafael and Eric commented on my patch, I forgot to CC them when
>> I rerolled. New contributors: please check your CC’s before hitting send!
>
> To add to that, Cc-ing people in the e-mail of all the patches in the series
> and not just in the cover letter would be nice too. :) Of course, if you have
> a specific reason to not do that, then it's fine.

Okay, I will remember to do this.

>> And my other blooper was to forget signing off one of my patches. Oops.
>
> Are you aware of `format.signOff` [2] which could save you from issues
> like these?

Thanks, this should have been in my config all along. Unfortunately,
it won't be possible to automate adding the other trailers in my
patches, unless Git learns to read my mind ;-)