All of lore.kernel.org
From: "Linux regression tracking #adding (Thorsten Leemhuis)" <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org,
	Linux kernel regressions list <regressions@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: [6.7 regression] [BISECTED] 28270e25c69a causes overallocation of metadata space
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:46:15 +0100	[thread overview]

On 17.01.24 07:04, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Starting from v6.7 I've noticed severe overallocation of metadata space
> on both of my btrfs root filesystems (both NVMe SSDs, both use
> snapshots):
>
> ```
> # mount | grep -w /
> rw,noatime,compress=zstd:1,ssd,discard=async,space_cache=v2,subvolid=<...>
>
> # btrfs fi usage /
> <...>
>
> Data,single: Size:550.00GiB, Used:497.12GiB (90.39%)
>    /dev/mapper/root      550.00GiB
>
> Metadata,DUP: Size:72.00GiB, Used:8.38GiB (11.64%)
>    /dev/mapper/root      144.00GiB
>
> <...>
> ```
>
> Running a full metadata balance (`btrfs balance start -m /`) or a
> "staged" balance
> (e. g. `for u in {0..90..5}; do btrfs balance start -musage=$u /`)
> does not help / makes the overallocation worse.

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 28270e25c69a
#regzbot title btrfs: severe overallocation of metadata space
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.