From: "Jonas Dreßler" <verdre@v0yd.nl>
To: Dominique MARTINET <dominique.martinet@atmark-techno.com>,
	Sharvari Harisangam <sharvari.harisangam@nxp.com>
Cc: "linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	Amitkumar Karwar <amitkarwar@gmail.com>,
	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>, Tsuchiya Yuto <kitakar@gmail.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert+renesas@glider.be>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>, Lee Jones <lee.jones@linaro.org>,
	Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org>,
	Xinming Hu <huxinming820@gmail.com>,
	Ganapathi Bhat <ganapathi017@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: mwifiex cmd timeout on one pci variant
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 12:11:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Dominique,

regarding the firmware version, as you can see in the commit updating
the firmware binaries
(https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/mrvl/pcie8897_uapsta.bin?id=1a5773c0c89ee44cee51a285d5c7c1063cdb0891),
indeed the version numbering differs between the different versions of
the card (usb/usb, pcie/usb, pcie/uart(?)).

Anyway, if you manage to find newer firmware for any of those versions,
I'd be happy if you could point me to that, apparently they just fixed a
critical vulnerability in the Windows firmware again (see
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/surface-pro-5th-gen-update-history-5203144a-90c1-63df-ce0b-7ec7ff32ff10),
I wouldn't be surprised if our firmware is also affected by that.

About the command timeout, I have no idea why the fix isn't working for
you, but well, my analysis of the issue is also just a (not exactly
educated) guess, so it might as well be a completely different problem
and my fix is just a lucky hack.

I'd kinda hope though that my proposed patches finally wake up some
people at NXP and motivate them to take a look at that firmware repo again.

Jonas