* [Qemu-devel] hw/display/sm501* status
@ 2018-07-15  9:29 BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-07-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, David Gibson, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno,
	Gerd Hoffmann, Sebastian Bauer
  Cc: qemu-devel

Hello,

I plan to make more changes to sm501 emulation to make it more usable for
AmigaOS and other Amiga like OSes. This would include first cleaning up of
current state, then trying to optimise 2D ops and display updates because
it was found these are currently quite slow. (Especially when using 8bit
or 16bit screen modes as AmigaOS does where every screen update does pixel
format conversion with a simple loop in a suboptimal way. Maybe we can use
more optimal pixman routines for these.)

We have found while merging previous patches that the status of sm501 is
not clear. It was originally part of SH emulation added for the R2D board
but now it's also used by PPC sam460ex board (and can be used with mac99
as well to run MorphOS that does not yet boot on sam460ex). David Gibson,
the PPC maintainer has indicated that he can't review changes to this
device and it is not really related to PPC so the practice of merging
sm501 patches via his PPC tree is not preferred.

So before sending more patches I'd like to clear who can review and merge
patches for sm501 in the future and what is the maintainership of this
device?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/display/sm501* status
@ 2018-07-16  2:53 ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2018-07-16  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Sebastian Bauer, qemu-devel

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:29:56AM +0200, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to make more changes to sm501 emulation to make it more usable for
> AmigaOS and other Amiga like OSes. This would include first cleaning up of
> current state, then trying to optimise 2D ops and display updates because it
> was found these are currently quite slow. (Especially when using 8bit or
> 16bit screen modes as AmigaOS does where every screen update does pixel
> format conversion with a simple loop in a suboptimal way. Maybe we can use
> more optimal pixman routines for these.)
>
> We have found while merging previous patches that the status of sm501 is not
> clear. It was originally part of SH emulation added for the R2D board but
> now it's also used by PPC sam460ex board (and can be used with mac99 as well
> to run MorphOS that does not yet boot on sam460ex). David Gibson, the PPC
> maintainer has indicated that he can't review changes to this device and it
> is not really related to PPC so the practice of merging sm501 patches via
> his PPC tree is not preferred.
>
> So before sending more patches I'd like to clear who can review and merge
> patches for sm501 in the future and what is the maintainership of this
> device?

The unfortunate answer is that there isn't any great choice: that's
basically what having no maintainer means.

I suspect Gerd is the most qualified to review patches to this
technically, but even then that's only by general familiarity with
display devices.

At Peter's request, I'm willing to take sm501 patches through the ppc
tree.  Since I can't review the patches in depth, I'd be pretty much
taking anything you send unless there's something obviously bogus.

.. which would make you de facto sub-maintainer of sm501.  Given
which, I encourage you again to become *actual* maintainer; there
really is no-one better qualified at this point.  I realize that you
don't want to make a big ongoing job of thise, but AFAIK that's
exactly what the "Odd Fixes" maintainership status exists for.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/display/sm501* status
@ 2018-07-16 20:26   ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-07-16 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Sebastian Bauer, qemu-devel

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, David Gibson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:29:56AM +0200, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
>> So before sending more patches I'd like to clear who can review and merge
>> patches for sm501 in the future and what is the maintainership of this
>> device?
>
> The unfortunate answer is that there isn't any great choice: that's
> basically what having no maintainer means.
>
> I suspect Gerd is the most qualified to review patches to this
> technically, but even then that's only by general familiarity with
> display devices.
>
> At Peter's request, I'm willing to take sm501 patches through the ppc
> tree.  Since I can't review the patches in depth, I'd be pretty much
> taking anything you send unless there's something obviously bogus.
>
> .. which would make you de facto sub-maintainer of sm501.  Given
> which, I encourage you again to become *actual* maintainer; there
> really is no-one better qualified at this point.  I realize that you
> don't want to make a big ongoing job of thise, but AFAIK that's
> exactly what the "Odd Fixes" maintainership status exists for.

There's already a section for sam460ex in MAINTAINERS where I've claimed
some devices that I've added and used by this machine. I did not take
sm501 because it was part of SH4 R2D but surprisingly it's not listed
there either and the maintainer listed there remained silent so far so it
seems that is not maintained any more.

I could list sm501 in the sam460ex section thus formally taking
sub-maintainership but this would only go as far that I'll get cc-d on
changes and try to review them. I still can't (and don't want to) maintain
my own tree and send pull requests directly so I'd need someone's help
with that who can take my patches and merge them via their tree. If it's
OK to continue to use the PPC tree for that I'm fine with that if David
agrees (which I think he did above).

So is it OK to add sm501 to sam460ex section so I claim responsibility for
changes and will continue sending patches cc-ing David (and maybe Gerd to
help spotting problems) then David could take these via the PPC tree?

@ 2018-07-16 20:43     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2018-07-16 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan
  Cc: David Gibson, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Sebastian Bauer, QEMU Developers

On 16 July 2018 at 21:26, BALATON Zoltan <balaton@eik.bme.hu> wrote:
> I could list sm501 in the sam460ex section thus formally taking
> sub-maintainership but this would only go as far that I'll get cc-d on
> changes and try to review them. I still can't (and don't want to) maintain
> my own tree and send pull requests directly so I'd need someone's help with
> that who can take my patches and merge them via their tree. If it's OK to
> continue to use the PPC tree for that I'm fine with that if David agrees
> (which I think he did above).
>
> So is it OK to add sm501 to sam460ex section so I claim responsibility for
> changes and will continue sending patches cc-ing David (and maybe Gerd to
> help spotting problems) then David could take these via the PPC tree?

I think that makes sense. sh4 is pretty dead and if sm501's major
active user is the sam460ex then listing it there seems reasonable.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/display/sm501* status
@ 2018-07-18  2:30       ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2018-07-18  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: BALATON Zoltan, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno, Gerd Hoffmann,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 09:43:05PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 16 July 2018 at 21:26, BALATON Zoltan <balaton@eik.bme.hu> wrote:
> > I could list sm501 in the sam460ex section thus formally taking
> > sub-maintainership but this would only go as far that I'll get cc-d on
> > changes and try to review them. I still can't (and don't want to) maintain
> > my own tree and send pull requests directly so I'd need someone's help with
> > that who can take my patches and merge them via their tree. If it's OK to
> > continue to use the PPC tree for that I'm fine with that if David agrees
> > (which I think he did above).
> >
> > So is it OK to add sm501 to sam460ex section so I claim responsibility for
> > changes and will continue sending patches cc-ing David (and maybe Gerd to
> > help spotting problems) then David could take these via the PPC tree?
>
> I think that makes sense. sh4 is pretty dead and if sm501's major
> active user is the sam460ex then listing it there seems reasonable.

Sounds good to me.

Zoltan, can you send a patch adding sm501 to the sam460ex section of
the MAINTAINERS file.  That will make you the right point of contact
for it.

On the understanding that it's just about tree logistics, rather than
review, I'll be happy to take sm501 patches from you through my tree.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/display/sm501* status
@ 2018-07-18 20:06         ` Sebastian Bauer
From: Sebastian Bauer @ 2018-07-18 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, BALATON Zoltan, Magnus Damm, Aurelien Jarno,
	Gerd Hoffmann, QEMU Developers

Hi,

Am 2018-07-18 04:30, schrieb David Gibson:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 09:43:05PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 16 July 2018 at 21:26, BALATON Zoltan <balaton@eik.bme.hu> wrote:
>> > I could list sm501 in the sam460ex section thus formally taking
>> > sub-maintainership but this would only go as far that I'll get cc-d on
>> > changes and try to review them. I still can't (and don't want to) maintain
>> > my own tree and send pull requests directly so I'd need someone's help with
>> > that who can take my patches and merge them via their tree. If it's OK to
>> > continue to use the PPC tree for that I'm fine with that if David agrees
>> > (which I think he did above).
>> >
>> > So is it OK to add sm501 to sam460ex section so I claim responsibility for
>> > changes and will continue sending patches cc-ing David (and maybe Gerd to
>> > help spotting problems) then David could take these via the PPC tree?
>>
>> I think that makes sense. sh4 is pretty dead and if sm501's major
>> active user is the sam460ex then listing it there seems reasonable.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> Zoltan, can you send a patch adding sm501 to the sam460ex section of
> the MAINTAINERS file.  That will make you the right point of contact
> for it.
>
> On the understanding that it's just about tree logistics, rather than
> review, I'll be happy to take sm501 patches from you through my tree.

Zoltan, if you like you can also add me as a possible reviewer for
anything that is Sam460ex-related.

Bye
Sebastian