From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot] having trouble booting a simple kernel on a TQM860 board
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:05:54 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1112042100270.15118@oneiric> you wrote:
> >
> > i believe i've solved this issue, at least.  i downloaded ELDK 4.2
> > and installed the ppc_8xx- toolchain.  with that, i managed to
> > compile u-boot 2010.12 and flashed it to my TQM860, reset and, lo
> > and behold, i have a 2010.12 u-boot.  so my u-boot issue seems to
> > be resolved.
>
> You update U-Boot, but to a version 4 releases old.  Why not to
> current code?
>
> > which generated a uImage file.  but as i understand it, i want a
> > cuImage-format file as i used with my lite5200, so i edited the file
>
> No.  Now you don't need a cuImage nay more.  Just use the DT as I
> showed you in the builkd and boot log I sent before.

  for the sake of clarification, you write that i don't *need*
cuImages anymore, but that's not the same as saying that i *must* move
to using device trees.  in fact, a cuImage file still works just fine
for my lite5200 boards, so obviously the version of u-boot that i've
flashed to my TQM boards can still handle that format.

  so while it's probably a good idea to move to the device tree
recipe, that still doesn't explain why i can't use a cuImage file for
my tqm boards.  so i'll test the device tree process later today, but
i'm still curious as to why a cuImage format file still fails in this
case when it works just fine for the other boards.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca