* new release manager
@ 2016-09-08 13:47 Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-09-08 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: ceph-users

Hi everyone,

A key role that we've had a hard time staying on top of is that of release
manager.  Getting releases tagged, built, and published has been done on a
pretty ad hoc basis without much in the way of central coordination or a
schedule or much else.  The dev checkpoint releases we used to do on a
regular basis have mostly stopped entirely because we get busy with other
things and either forget or don't have the time.

The situation improved dramatically when Loic organized a group of
contributors to work on handling backports of bug fixes to stable releases
and created and documented a repeatable and scalable process.  Even so,
releases themselves have remained a pain point.

Abhishek Lekshman (of SUSE) has offered to take on a release manager role
to coordinate our efforts.  Yay!  This will include

 - deciding when to do a stable release (a combination of regular cadence
and expedited releases due to critical bugs)
 - working with the backports team to ensure backports land and are
tested in time for a stable release
 - working with dev leads for their sign-off on releases
 - periodic dev checkpoint releases off of master
 - driving the mechanics of the release itself (the new build/release
infrastructure that Alfredo and team have been working on)
 - release announcements (email + blog)

although I'm sure the role will evolve as we go.  :)

We've just ripped the last vestiges of autotools out of the master branch,
so one of the first projects will be to kick the tires on the new build
infrastructure with a dev release off of master that is 100% cmake.

Thanks, Abhishek!
sage

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-09-08 13:47 UTC | newest]