* Re: measure performance / latency in blustore
       [not found] ` <71b773a4-18a1-c206-2fe4-83b51cdf368c-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-14  7:48   ` Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
       [not found]     ` <231b2674-d2b6-b66a-ae29-72c0f2a7f1a0-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org>
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2017-12-14  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello,

Am 21.11.2017 um 11:06 schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG:
> Hello,
>
> to measure performance / latency for filestore we used:
> filestore:apply_latency
> filestore:commitcycle_latency
> filestore:journal_latency
> filestore:queue_transaction_latency_avg
>
> What are the correct ones for bluestore?

really nobody? Does nobody track the latency under bluestore?

Thanks,
Stefan

@ 2017-12-14 12:22       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-12-14 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
  Cc: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 21.11.2017 um 11:06 schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG:
> > Hello,
> >
> > to measure performance / latency for filestore we used:
> > filestore:apply_latency
> > filestore:commitcycle_latency
> > filestore:journal_latency
> > filestore:queue_transaction_latency_avg
> >
> > What are the correct ones for bluestore?
>
> really nobody? Does nobody track the latency under bluestore?

I forget the long names off the top of my head, but the interesting
latency measures are marked with a low priority and come up (with a wide
terminal) when you do 'ceph daemonperf osd.N'. You can see the metrics,
pririties, and descriptions with 'ceph daemon osd.N perf schema'.

sage

* Re: measure performance / latency in blustore
@ 2017-12-14 13:59         ` Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2017-12-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Am 14.12.2017 um 13:22 schrieb Sage Weil:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am 21.11.2017 um 11:06 schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> to measure performance / latency for filestore we used:
>>> filestore:apply_latency
>>> filestore:commitcycle_latency
>>> filestore:journal_latency
>>> filestore:queue_transaction_latency_avg
>>>
>>> What are the correct ones for bluestore?
>>
>> really nobody? Does nobody track the latency under bluestore?
>
> I forget the long names off the top of my head, but the interesting
> latency measures are marked with a low priority and come up (with a wide
> terminal) when you do 'ceph daemonperf osd.N'. You can see the metrics,
> pririties, and descriptions with 'ceph daemon osd.N perf schema'.

uhuh very long list. Any idea which ones are relevant?

ceph daemon osd.8 perf dump

shows me a lot of stuff and even a lot of wait or latancy values.

ceph daemon osd.8 perf dump | egrep "wait|lat"
        "kv_flush_lat": {
        "kv_commit_lat": {
        "kv_lat": {
        "state_prepare_lat": {
        "state_aio_wait_lat": {
        "state_io_done_lat": {
        "state_kv_queued_lat": {
        "state_kv_commiting_lat": {
        "state_kv_done_lat": {
        "state_deferred_queued_lat": {
        "state_deferred_aio_wait_lat": {
        "state_deferred_cleanup_lat": {
        "state_finishing_lat": {
        "state_done_lat": {
        "throttle_lat": {
        "submit_lat": {
        "commit_lat": {
        "read_lat": {
        "read_onode_meta_lat": {
        "read_wait_aio_lat": {
        "compress_lat": {
        "decompress_lat": {
        "csum_lat": {
        "complete_latency": {
        "complete_latency": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "op_latency": {
        "op_process_latency": {
        "op_prepare_latency": {
        "op_r_latency": {
        "op_r_process_latency": {
        "op_r_prepare_latency": {
        "op_w_latency": {
        "op_w_process_latency": {
        "op_w_prepare_latency": {
        "op_rw_latency": {
        "op_rw_process_latency": {
        "op_rw_prepare_latency": {
        "op_before_queue_op_lat": {
        "op_before_dequeue_op_lat": {
        "subop_latency": {
        "subop_w_latency": {
        "subop_pull_latency": {
        "subop_push_latency": {
        "osd_tier_flush_lat": {
        "osd_tier_promote_lat": {
        "osd_tier_r_lat": {
        "initial_latency": {
        "started_latency": {
        "reset_latency": {
        "start_latency": {
        "primary_latency": {
        "peering_latency": {
        "backfilling_latency": {
        "waitremotebackfillreserved_latency": {
        "waitlocalbackfillreserved_latency": {
        "notbackfilling_latency": {
        "repnotrecovering_latency": {
        "repwaitrecoveryreserved_latency": {
        "repwaitbackfillreserved_latency": {
        "reprecovering_latency": {
        "activating_latency": {
        "waitlocalrecoveryreserved_latency": {
        "waitremoterecoveryreserved_latency": {
        "recovering_latency": {
        "recovered_latency": {
        "clean_latency": {
        "active_latency": {
        "replicaactive_latency": {
        "stray_latency": {
        "getinfo_latency": {
        "getlog_latency": {
        "waitactingchange_latency": {
        "incomplete_latency": {
        "down_latency": {
        "getmissing_latency": {
        "waitupthru_latency": {
        "notrecovering_latency": {
        "get_latency": {
        "submit_latency": {
        "submit_sync_latency": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {
        "wait": {

Stefan

* Re: measure performance / latency in blustore
@ 2017-12-14 14:02           ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-12-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:

> Am 14.12.2017 um 13:22 schrieb Sage Weil:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:

> >> really nobody? Does nobody track the latency under bluestore?
> >
> > I forget the long names off the top of my head, but the interesting
> > latency measures are marked with a low priority and come up (with a wide
> > terminal) when you do 'ceph daemonperf osd.N'. You can see the metrics,
> > pririties, and descriptions with 'ceph daemon osd.N perf schema'.
>
> uhuh very long list. Any idea which ones are relevant?
>
> ceph daemon osd.8 perf dump

If you do 'perf schema' you'll see a 'priority' property that calls out
the important ones.  That's how the daemonperf command decides which ones
to show (based on terminal width and priorities).

sage

@ 2018-02-07 14:07             ` Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2018-02-07 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Hi,

Am 14.12.2017 um 15:02 schrieb Sage Weil:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:

>>> I forget the long names off the top of my head, but the interesting
>>> latency measures are marked with a low priority and come up (with a wide
>>> terminal) when you do 'ceph daemonperf osd.N'. You can see the metrics,
>>> pririties, and descriptions with 'ceph daemon osd.N perf schema'.
>>
>> uhuh very long list. Any idea which ones are relevant?
>>
>> ceph daemon osd.8 perf dump
>
> If you do 'perf schema' you'll see a 'priority' property that calls out
> the important ones.  That's how the daemonperf command decides which ones
> to show (based on terminal width and priorities).
>
> sage

So i would start using:
        "throttle_lat": {
            "type": 5,
            "priority": 10
        "submit_lat": {
            "type": 5,
            "priority": 10
        "commit_lat": {
            "type": 5,
            "priority": 10
        "read_lat": {
            "type": 5,
            "priority": 10

But i'm not able to find any hints about those values and their meaning.

Greets,
Stefan