Hi Kuba & Junio, On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, Jakub Narębski wrote: > W dniu 31.08.2016 o 21:10, Junio C Hamano pisze: > > Jakub Narębski writes: > > > >>> diff --git a/sequencer.c b/sequencer.c > >>> index 06759d4..3398774 100644 > >>> --- a/sequencer.c > >>> +++ b/sequencer.c > >>> @@ -709,6 +709,8 @@ static int read_and_refresh_cache(struct replay_opts *opts) > >>> struct todo_item { > >>> enum todo_command command; > >>> struct commit *commit; > >>> + const char *arg; > >>> + int arg_len; > > > I am not sure what the "commit" field of type "struct commit *" is > > for. It is not needed until it is the commit's turn to be picked or > > reverted; if we end up stopping in the middle, parsing the commit > > object for later steps will end up being wasted effort. > > From what I understand this was what sequencer did before this > series, so it is not a regression (I think; the commit parsing > was in different function, but I think at the same place in > the callchain). Exactly. > > Also, when the sequencer becomes one sequencer to rule them all, the > > command set may contain something that does not even mention any > > commit at all (think: exec). > > The "exec" line is a bit of exception, all other rebase -i commands > take commit as parameter. It could always use NULL. There is also "noop". > > So I am not sure if we want a parsed commit there (I would not > > object if we kept the texual object name read from the file, > > though). The "one sequencer to rule them all" may even have to say > > "now give name ':1' to the result of the previous operation" in one > > step and in another later step have an instruction "merge ':1'". > > When that happens, you cannot even pre-populate the commit object > > when the sequencer reads the file, as the commit has not yet been > > created at that point. > > True, --preserve-merges rebase is well, different. It is mis-designed. And I can be that harsh because it was my design. In the meantime I came up with a much better design, and implemented it as a shell script on top of rebase -i. Since shell scripts run like slow molasses, even more so on Windows, I have a loose plan to implement its functionality as a new --recreate-merges option, and to deprecate --preserve-merges when that new option works. It needs to be a new option (not a --preserve-merges=v2) because it is a totally different beast. For starters, it does not need its own code path that overrides pick_one, as --preserve-merges does. But I get way ahead of myself. First we need to get these last few bits and pieces in place to accelerate (non --preserve-merges) rebase -i. Ciao, Dscho