* Git context menu in Windows Exporer has a “git bash” option but it doesn't work
@ 2016-10-21 12:23 Stefan Monov
From: Stefan Monov @ 2016-10-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi.

The default git distribution for windows contains, besides the CLI
tools, a shell integration, i.e. a context menu for Windows Explorer.
This context menu has a "Git bash" option which I suppose should open
a Git bash prompt cd'd to the current directory. But instead, the git
bash window opens and immediately closes, giving me no chance to even
see what it says inside it. Any fix?

Note: Opening Git Bash from the Windows Start Menu works fine, but if
I open it that way, then I need to manually cd to the needed dir.

TIA,
Stefan Monov

* Re: Git context menu in Windows Exporer has a “git bash” option but it doesn't work
@ 2016-10-21 12:40 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2016-10-21 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monov; +Cc: git

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016, Stefan Monov wrote:

> The default git distribution for windows

Are you referring to Git for Windows? Which version? From where did you
obtain it?

> contains, besides the CLI tools, a shell integration, i.e. a context
> menu for Windows Explorer.  This context menu has a "Git bash" option
> which I suppose should open a Git bash prompt cd'd to the current
> directory.

I guess you mean either "Git Bash Here" or "Git Bash" (not "Git bash")?

> But instead, the git bash window opens and immediately closes, giving me
> no chance to even see what it says inside it. Any fix?

Sorry, there is not enough information to go on here. In Git for Windows'
bug tracker, we were careful to provide you with a template that helps
with providing relevant information:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/new

> Note: Opening Git Bash from the Windows Start Menu works fine, but if
> I open it that way, then I need to manually cd to the needed dir.

For me, both work fine. For the record, I use Git for Windows (64-bit)
v2.10.1, as downloaded from https://git-for-windows.github.io/:

	$ git version
	git version 2.10.1.windows.1

Ciao,
Johannes

* Re: Git context menu in Windows Exporer has a “git bash” option but it doesn't work
@ 2016-10-21 13:11   ` Stefan Monov
From: Stefan Monov @ 2016-10-21 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:
> Are you referring to Git for Windows?
> Which version? From where did you obtain it?
I'm not sure about the answer to these questions, so to clear things
up, I'm downloading it anew now. Getting it from
https://git-scm.com/download/win .
I downloaded and installed Git for Windows, version 2.10.1, 32-bit.

Indeed the context menu option is now called "Git Bash Here". I don't
know what it was called before I installed this new version of git,
but now it works fine. I.e. no more auto-closing bash window.

Thanks for (indirectly) helping me resolve the issue. :)