From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
To: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
Cc: Michael Gooch <goochmi@gmail.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: problem with insider build for windows and git
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:54:02 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hi Junio,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Aside from the "ouch, one topic has merged earlier iteration, that
> was merged to 'master', also now merged to 'maint', and we need to
> follow up on both" you sent out earlier,

I know of one more "ouch" moment where my latest iterations did not get
picked up: my latest version of the "Avoid a segmentation fault with
renaming merges" patch did not output an error message in case of !nce
because the code flow will result in more appropriate error messages later
anyway. I did not provide a follow-up patch for that because the current
version in `maint` is not wrong per se.

> are there any other topic that are already in 'master' that should go to
> 2.11.x track?

Personally, I would have merged 'nd/config-misc-fixes' into `maint`, I
guess, and 'jc/abbrev-autoscale-config', and probably also 'jc/latin-1'.
The 'rj/git-version-gen-do-not-force-abbrev' topic would be another
candidate for inclusion. The 'ah/grammos' strikes me as obvious `maint`
material, as well as 'ew/svn-fixes'. I have no opinion on the p4 topics
(five, by my counting), as I have no experience with (or for that matter,
need for) Perforce, but Lars might have a strong opinion on those.

Having said that, these are the topics that *I* would merge into `maint`
if I maintained Git. I don't, so this is just my opinion, man [*1*].

Ciao,
Johannes

Footnote *1*: While you read that last part of the sentence, imagine me in
slippers and a bathrobe, with a White Russian in my left hand for which I
used milk instead of cream (for the White Russian, that is, not for my
left hand).