From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
To: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
Cc: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Nov 9
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:58:01 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

 	Hi Jan,

As lore doesn't seem to have the original patch, I'm replying here.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Merging ext3/for_next (39a464de961f udf: Fix crash after seekdir)

noreply@ellerman.id.au reported for m68k/allmodconfig:
fs/udf/dir.c:78:18: error: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Werror=pointer-to-int-cast]
fs/udf/dir.c:211:23: error: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Werror=int-to-pointer-cast]

The actual code does:

         * Did our position change since last readdir (likely lseek was
         * called)? We need to verify the position correctly points at the
         * beginning of some dir entry so that the directory parsing code does
         * not get confused. Since UDF does not have any reliable way of
         * identifying beginning of dir entry (names are under user control),
         * we need to scan the directory from the beginning.
         */
        if (ctx->pos != (loff_t)file->private_data) {
                emit_pos = nf_pos;
                nf_pos = 0;
        }

and:

        /* Store position where we've ended */
        file->private_data = (void *)ctx->pos;

Obviously this is not going to fly on 32-bit systems, as
file->private_data is 32-bit or 64-bit unsigned long, but ctx->pos is
always 64-bit loff_t.

I do not know if UDF supports files larger than 4 GiB (DVDs can be
larger).
If it doesn't, you need intermediate casts to uintptr_t.
If it does, you need a different solution.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

 						Geert

 							    -- Linus Torvalds