On Wed, 11 May 2022, Alessandro Carminati wrote: > > Alessandro > > > > Il giorno mer 11 mag 2022 alle ore 10:14 Julia Lawall ha scritto: > > It is a suboptimal version of Julia's last proposition. > > It happens that in a file a statement I expect to be matched is not detected. > > Troubleshooting the issue, I see a behavior that does not fit the model I have in my mind. This suggests to me that things (coccinelle under the hood mechanisms) are more complicated than I think. > > back to the point: > > Running the script and printing only the rule "rr", which is the same as "r" without positions, the results presents a set of entries containing the entry I'm interested in. > > Running the same script but printing only the rule "excluded", I see that the result is an empty set. > > Finally, running the script using only the "r" rule, the entry I'm interested in is not there. > > Surprisingly (for me), removing the position constraints coming from the rule "excluded" (position q != excluded.p;) from the rule "r", the entry appears. > > You haven't provided tihs semantic patch, so I don't know in detail what > it does. > > It appears I do not know what a semantic patch is. > I was convinced that what I called the "script" included inline in the mail I sent was the semantic patch. It is, but you said that you removed something. Removing that thing is not trivial because other things depend on it. So I don't know exactly what you did. In your rr.cocci rule, an isomorphism applies to the pattern T i; to allow it to match T i = ...; so the problem is solved. This isomorphism does not apply when there are position variables attached to the declared identifier. This information is provided when running spatch --parse-cocci by the following message: warning: iso decl_init does not match the code below on line 26 T i@p@q; context metavariable Z is matched against the following noncontext code: i@p@q You can see the definition of decl_init in the file standard.iso. I'm not sure that this strategy for isomorphisms is correct. At least in this case, there seems to be no harm in considering i to be in a context position. It's not removed or added. I'm not sure why having a position metavariable disqualifies is. julia > > > In my opinion, the rule excluded is completely irrelevant for this > example.  The code that you want to detect is: > > const struct snd_soc_component_driver mtk_afe_pcm_platform = { >         .name           = AFE_PCM_NAME, >         .pointer        = mtk_afe_pcm_pointer, >         .pcm_construct  = mtk_afe_pcm_new, > }; > > { >         .name           = AFE_PCM_NAME, >         .pointer        = mtk_afe_pcm_pointer, >         .pcm_construct  = mtk_afe_pcm_new, > } > > is not considered to be an ordinary expression, but rather as an > initializer.  Everything should work find if you just replace E by ... > > > Indeed, replacing the E with ... solves the issue. > The explanation makes sense to me,  but why does the rule rr in the following context matches mtk_afe_pcm_platform and presents the following resulting set? > ``` > $ spatch  -sp_file  simple.cocci mtk-afe-platform-driver.c > init_defs_builtins: /usr/local/lib/coccinelle/standard.h > HANDLING: mtk-afe-platform-driver.c > afe > dai > dai_idx > dev > hw_base > hw_ptr > memif > memif_data > mtk_afe_pcm_platform > num_dai_drivers > pcm > pcm_ptr_bytes > reg_ofs_base > reg_ofs_cur > regmap > ret > rtd > size > ``` > and simple.cocci is > ``` > @rr@ > type T; > identifier i; > expression E; > attribute name __randomize_layout; > @@ > > ( >  T i; > | >  T i=E; > ) > > @script:python@ > i << rr.i; > @@ > print (i) > ``` > > > julia > > >