* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-05  0:16 Di
From: Di @ 2017-01-05  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Greetings,

I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a transition to systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:

        if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
                $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure || exit 1
        else
                lctl network up || exit 1
        fi

Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY  (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?

Thanks,
Giuseppe Di Natale
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [lustre-devel] LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY in lnet SysV script
@ 2017-01-05  1:36 ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2017-01-05  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

lnetctl is currently an optional build, and its build is not even
enabled by default in the lustre spec file.  To use lnetctl exclusively,
we would need lnetctl's build would need to be unconditional.

I don't have a problem with making the lnetctl build unconditional.  I'm
not sure why it was done that way.  Perhaps someone else can comment on
that.

When/if lnetctl is built unconditionally, it would be nice to purge the
"DLC" terminology from the code.

Chris

On 01/04/2017 04:16 PM, Di Natale, Giuseppe wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a transition to
> systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:
>
>         if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f
> "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
>                 $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure || exit 1
>         else
>                 lctl network up || exit 1
>         fi
>
> Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY  (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by
> default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?
>
> Thanks,
> Giuseppe Di Natale

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-10 20:15 ` Amir Shehata
From: Amir Shehata @ 2017-01-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

lctl usage is kept for backwards compatibility. Eventually, we should be
moving to using lnetctl exclusively. Which lustre-release we should do that
in, is the question. 2.10?

thanks
amir

@ 2017-01-10 20:17   ` Amir Shehata
From: Amir Shehata @ 2017-01-10 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

The reason it is conditional is because we use 3rd party library for YAML
parsing. If this is not installed on the build system, then we wouldn't be
building lnetctl in that scenario.

I agree that we should be removing DLC terminology from the code.

thanks
amir

@ 2017-01-10 20:46     ` Amir Shehata
From: Amir Shehata @ 2017-01-10 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

We can probably make these YAML parsing libraries mandatory and checked in
the configuration step. If not there the build doesn't move forward until
they are installed. The libraries will also need to be installed on the
nodes which Lustre is deployed on.

@ 2017-01-10 22:04       ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2017-01-10 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Exactly.

On 01/10/2017 12:46 PM, Amir Shehata wrote:
> We can probably make these YAML parsing libraries mandatory and checked
> in the configuration step. If not there the build doesn't move forward
> until they are installed. The libraries will also need to be installed
> on the nodes which Lustre is deployed on.
>
> On 10 January 2017 at 12:17, Amir Shehata
> <amir.shehata.whamcloud@gmail.com
> <mailto:amir.shehata.whamcloud@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The reason it is conditional is because we use 3rd party library for
>     YAML parsing. If this is not installed on the build system, then we
>     wouldn't be building lnetctl in that scenario.
>
>     I agree that we should be removing DLC terminology from the code.
>
>     thanks
>     amir
>
>     On 4 January 2017 at 17:36, Christopher J. Morrone
>     <morrone2 at llnl.gov <mailto:morrone2@llnl.gov>> wrote:
>
>         lnetctl is currently an optional build, and its build is not even
>         enabled by default in the lustre spec file.  To use lnetctl
>         exclusively,
>         we would need lnetctl's build would need to be unconditional.
>
>         I don't have a problem with making the lnetctl build
>         unconditional.  I'm
>         not sure why it was done that way.  Perhaps someone else can
>         comment on
>         that.
>
>         When/if lnetctl is built unconditionally, it would be nice to
>         purge the
>         "DLC" terminology from the code.
>
>         Chris
>
>         On 01/04/2017 04:16 PM, Di Natale, Giuseppe wrote:
>         > Greetings,
>         >
>         > I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a
>         transition to
>         > systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:
>         >
>         >         if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f
>         > "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
>         >                 $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure ||
>         exit 1
>         >         else
>         >                 lctl network up || exit 1
>         >         fi
>         >
>         > Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY
>         (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by
>         > default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?
>         >
>         > Thanks,
>         > Giuseppe Di Natale
>         >
>         >
>         > lustre-devel mailing list
>         > lustre-devel at lists.lustre.org
>         <mailto:lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org>
>         >

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-10 22:06   ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2017-01-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Sounds good to me.  Ideally, lnetctl should be able to do everything
that lctl could do (plus all of the new features).  Has it reached
parity?  If not, what else still remains to be done?

Chris

On 01/10/2017 12:15 PM, Amir Shehata wrote:
> lctl usage is kept for backwards compatibility. Eventually, we should be
> moving to using lnetctl exclusively. Which lustre-release we should do
> that in, is the question. 2.10?
>
> thanks
> amir
>
> On 4 January 2017 at 16:16, Di Natale, Giuseppe <dinatale2@llnl.gov
> <mailto:dinatale2@llnl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings,
>
>     I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a transition
>     to systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:
>
>             if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f
>     "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
>                     $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure || exit 1
>             else
>                     lctl network up || exit 1
>             fi
>
>     Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY  (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by
>     default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Giuseppe Di Natale

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-11  1:08     ` Amir Shehata
From: Amir Shehata @ 2017-01-11  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

lnetctl was designed to control LNet only. We have not moved the rest of
the lctl functionality. lctl does a lot of other lustre specific functions.

The idea was to have lnetctl be only LNet specific, and lctl lustre
specific. In essence we are attempting to decouple LNet from lustre. There
has been some talk about upstreaming LNet before lustre with all the work
that James Simmons from ORNL is doing.

thanks
amir

@ 2017-01-11  4:18       ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2017-01-11  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

It's fine to add the lnet-specific functionality from lctl to lnetctl, but we shouldn't remove existing functionality from lctl to avoid breaking scripts that may be using it today.  4+ releases after all of the LNet specific lctl functionality has been added to lnetctl we can start printing deprecation warnings, and after 8+ releases they can be removed.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Lustre Principal Architect

On 2017/01/10, 18:08, "lustre-devel on behalf of Amir Shehata" <lustre-devel-bounces at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-devel-bounces@lists.lustre.org> on behalf of amir.shehata.whamcloud at gmail.com<mailto:amir.shehata.whamcloud@gmail.com>> wrote:

@ 2017-01-11 23:20         ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2017-01-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Right, I meant copy in lnet-specific functionality from lctl to lnetctl.
 I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting moving the rest of lctl's
non-lnet parts into lnetctl.

Chris

@ 2017-01-16 21:00       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2017-01-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> We can probably make these YAML parsing libraries mandatory and checked in the configuration step. If not
> there the build doesn't move forward until they are installed. The libraries will also need to be
> installed on the nodes which Lustre is deployed on.

The reason for this was that SLES11 lacked yaml support. Today a
search libyaml will show it is available on all the platforms
lustre is supported on. Even SLES11SP4 has yaml support now.
I support making this a hard requirement.

> On 10 January 2017 at 12:17, Amir Shehata <amir.shehata.whamcloud@gmail.com> wrote:
>       The reason it is conditional is because we use 3rd party library for YAML parsing. If this is
>       not installed on the build system, then we wouldn't be building lnetctl in that scenario.
> I agree that we should be removing DLC terminology from the code.
>
> thanks
> amir
>
> On 4 January 2017 at 17:36, Christopher J. Morrone <morrone2@llnl.gov> wrote:
>       lnetctl is currently an optional build, and its build is not even
>       enabled by default in the lustre spec file.? To use lnetctl exclusively,
>       we would need lnetctl's build would need to be unconditional.
>
>       I don't have a problem with making the lnetctl build unconditional.? I'm
>       not sure why it was done that way.? Perhaps someone else can comment on
>       that.
>
>       When/if lnetctl is built unconditionally, it would be nice to purge the
>       "DLC" terminology from the code.
>
>       Chris
>
>       On 01/04/2017 04:16 PM, Di Natale, Giuseppe wrote:
>       > Greetings,
>       >
>       > I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a transition to
>       > systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:
>       >
>       >? ? ? ? ?if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f
>       > "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
>       >? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure || exit 1
>       >? ? ? ? ?else
>       >? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?lctl network up || exit 1
>       >? ? ? ? ?fi
>       >
>       > Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY? (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by
>       > default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?
>       >
>       > Thanks,
>       > Giuseppe Di Natale
>       >
>       >
>       > _______________________________________________
>       > lustre-devel mailing list
>       > lustre-devel at lists.lustre.org
>       >

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-16 21:02     ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2017-01-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> Sounds good to me.  Ideally, lnetctl should be able to do everything
> that lctl could do (plus all of the new features).  Has it reached
> parity?  If not, what else still remains to be done?

No lctl pings and the peer and connection handling is missing. I did
some work to support the missing features in lnetctl and combined with
multi-rail should fill in the gaps. Also we are missing lnetctl ping
but I think multi-rail might fix that. Not 100% sure tho.

> Chris
>
> On 01/10/2017 12:15 PM, Amir Shehata wrote:
> > lctl usage is kept for backwards compatibility. Eventually, we should be
> > moving to using lnetctl exclusively. Which lustre-release we should do
> > that in, is the question. 2.10?
> >
> > thanks
> > amir
> >
> > On 4 January 2017 at 16:16, Di Natale, Giuseppe <dinatale2@llnl.gov
> > <mailto:dinatale2@llnl.gov>> wrote:
> >
> >     Greetings,
> >
> >     I am attempting to port the SysV lnet script as part of a transition
> >     to systemd. I ran into the following in lustre/scripts/lnet:
> >
> >             if [ -x $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY -a -f
> >     "$LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_FILE" ]; then
> >                     $LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY lnet configure || exit 1
> >             else
> >                     lctl network up || exit 1
> >             fi
> >
> >     Can the check for LUSTRE_LNET_CONFIG_UTILITY  (/usr/sbin/lnetctl by
> >     default) be removed so that way lnetctl is used exclusively?
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >     Giuseppe Di Natale

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-16 21:05       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2017-01-16 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> lnetctl was designed to control LNet only. We have not moved the rest of the lctl functionality. lctl does
> a lot of other lustre specific functions.
> The idea was to have lnetctl be only LNet specific, and lctl lustre specific. In essence we are attempting
> to decouple LNet from lustre. There has been some talk about upstreaming LNet before lustre with all the
> work that James Simmons from ORNL is doing.

Already done. LNet is ahead a bit for the upstream client from master but
just recently I have been backporting that work to the OpenSFS branch.
Its almost synced up now. As for LNet leaving staging Greg wanted both
LNet and lustre to leaving staging at the same time.

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-16 21:25           ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2017-01-16 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> Right, I meant copy in lnet-specific functionality from lctl to lnetctl.
>  I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting moving the rest of lctl's
> non-lnet parts into lnetctl.

I think Chris means is that if we make liblnetconfig mandatory then we can
link lctl to that library and replace alot of the functionality lctl is
doing itself with the work in liblnetconfig.

Currently the library situation is a mess. We have:

liblnetconfig.so (okay)
libcfs.a
libcfsutil.a
libptlctl.a
liblustreapi.so

For liblustreapi.so it linked the libcfs*.a and libptlctl.a static
libraries. If you look at libptlctl.a its just composed of two source
files. One is debug.c which really belongs in libcfs. The other could
be replaced by libnetconfig. So we can kill off libptlctl.a. For
libcfsutil.a that should just merge into libcfs.

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-17 21:32       ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2017-01-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

On 01/16/2017 01:02 PM, James Simmons wrote:

>> Sounds good to me.  Ideally, lnetctl should be able to do everything
>> that lctl could do (plus all of the new features).  Has it reached
>> parity?  If not, what else still remains to be done?
>
> No lctl pings and the peer and connection handling is missing. I did
> some work to support the missing features in lnetctl and combined with
> multi-rail should fill in the gaps. Also we are missing lnetctl ping
> but I think multi-rail might fix that. Not 100% sure tho.

Thanks, James.  That is the information that I was looking for.

Chris

* [lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2017-01-18 20:10       ` Amir Shehata
From: Amir Shehata @ 2017-01-18 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

We have a patch for lnetctl ping coming in soon.

@ 2018-01-11 17:25 ` Ben Evans
From: Ben Evans @ 2018-01-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Huegel, Oleg Drokin, Andreas Dilger, James Simmons,
	Lai Siyao, John L . Hammond, Greg Kroah-Hartman, devel,
	Ben Evans, NeilBrown
  Cc: lustre-devel, linux-kernel, linux-kernel

I've been working off and on with this.  Since you're getting into the
counters in a couple of the patches, part of the reason for all the
#defines here are because MDC, MDT and OST counters are all shoved into
the same array dynamically, sometimes.  It would be a much cleaner
approach to have a separate array for the MDC stats, then print them
conditionally.

This would reduce all of the calls to these macros to counter increments.

-Ben Evans

On 1/11/18, 12:16 PM, "Fabian Huegel" <fabian_huegel@web.de> wrote:

>We cleaned up a lot of checkpatch errors and warnings in obd_class.h,
>but there are still some CHECKs and two warnings about flow control
>inside macros left.
>
>Changing those macros to inline functions would probably
>be a good idea, unfortunatly it's not straightforward since they use
>'#op' to print the name of the operation.
>
>We also did some aligning to make the code more readable and removed
>an unnecessary macro.
>
>We only tested, that the kernel still compiles and the lustre kernel
>module loads successfully, but given the harmless nature of these
>changes we don't expect any problems.
>
>The patches are based on the staging-testing branch of the staging tree.

* [Lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2010-04-29  2:04     ` di.wang
From: di.wang @ 2010-04-29  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> AFAIK the Handling time is when request processing starts, not when it
> first arrived at the server. We would need to check I'd there is an
> RPCTRACE message from ptlrpc_handle_req_in() that we could use to
> determine the initial request arrival time.

Oh, you can also get the arriving time in "Handled RPC" msg
by Handled RPC_time - total time.

Thanks
WangDi

* [Lustre-devel] (no subject)
@ 2010-04-29  1:49   ` Andreas Dilger

On 2010-04-28, at 19:25, "di.wang" <di.wang@oracle.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> <lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org>, "Galen M. Shipman" <gshipman@ornl.gov
>> >

>> Michael,
>>
>> The previous Lustre RPC visualisation effort I mentioned at the LUG
>> used the
>>
>> Lustre debug log entries of type D_RPCTRACE. We disabled all but
>> these
>>
>> log messages and then used the Lustre debug daemon to collect them
>> while
>>
>> we ran I/O tests. We then ran a simple logfile parser which used
>> just the log entries
>>
>> for request arrival?
>>
>> , start of processing and end of processing to graph request
>>
>> queue depth (arrival->end) and the number of requests being
>> serviced by type
>>
>> over time ? e.g?
>>
>> read3d
>>
>> ?which shows request queue depth (vertical) over time (axis labell

* [Lustre-devel] (no subject)
       [not found] <000c01cae6ee$1d4693d0$57d3bb70$@barton@oracle.com>
@ 2010-04-29  1:25 ` di.wang
From: di.wang @ 2010-04-29  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

[...]

Handled RPC pname:cluuid+ref:pid:xid:nid:opc
ll_mgs_00:7d4fb15c-1b1c-295f-e466-ea7d77089b52+9:4055:x1334115493386242:12345-0 at lo:400

@ 2009-03-27  5:23 sethpn at gmail.com
From: sethpn at gmail.com @ 2009-03-27  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Is there any Lenny packaged with Lustre 1.6.7? This will be great!