* dev-manual: differing versions of same recipe in different priority layers?
@ 2020-02-13 14:14 rpjday
From: rpjday @ 2020-02-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  in the YP dev manual, section 3.1.6, there is a maddeningly vague
note:

"It is possible for a recipe with a lower version number PV in a layer
that has a higher priority to take precedence."

  so does it take precedence or not? just saying it's "possible"
doesn't clarify it for the reader.

rday

* Re: [yocto] dev-manual: differing versions of same recipe in different priority layers?
@ 2020-02-13 15:45 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2020-02-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpjday; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hello Robert,

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM rpjday@crashcourse.ca
<rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   in the YP dev manual, section 3.1.6, there is a maddeningly vague
> note:
>
> "It is possible for a recipe with a lower version number PV in a layer
> that has a higher priority to take precedence."
>
>   so does it take precedence or not? just saying it's "possible"
> doesn't clarify it for the reader.

Yes, this should be re-worded. This is actually a FAQ.
(I remember more sentences like this exist, that especially for
non-English speakers might be difficult to interpret.)

My proposal would be:

If a recipe exists in multiple layers, the recipe with highest PV
*from the layer with the highest priority* is selected.
Be aware that recipes with the same PN in lower priority layers are
thus not selected, *even if their PV is higher*.

Regards,

Leon.

* Re: [yocto] dev-manual: differing versions of same recipe in different priority layers?
@ 2020-02-13 16:26   ` rpjday
From: rpjday @ 2020-02-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Woestenberg; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020, Leon Woestenberg wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM rpjday@crashcourse.ca
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >   in the YP dev manual, section 3.1.6, there is a maddeningly vague
> > note:
> >
> > "It is possible for a recipe with a lower version number PV in a layer
> > that has a higher priority to take precedence."
> >
> >   so does it take precedence or not? just saying it's "possible"
> > doesn't clarify it for the reader.
> >
> Yes, this should be re-worded. This is actually a FAQ.
> (I remember more sentences like this exist, that especially for
> non-English speakers might be difficult to interpret.)

  i'm betting i'm going to find all of them eventually. :-)

> My proposal would be:
>
> If a recipe exists in multiple layers, the recipe with highest PV
> *from the layer with the highest priority* is selected. Be aware
> that recipes with the same PN in lower priority layers are thus not
> selected, *even if their PV is higher*.

  right ... higher layer priority takes precedence over higher version
number. i'll submit something for that.

rday