* [LSF/MM ATTEND] HMM, CDM and other infrastructure for device memory management
@ 2017-01-11  4:22 John Hubbard
From: John Hubbard @ 2017-01-11  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc, linux-mm
  Cc: Jerome Glisse, Anshuman Khandual, Serguei Sagalovitch,
	Aneesh Kumar K.V, Balbir Singh, Michael Repasy

Hi,

I would like to attend this topic that Jerome has proposed. Studying the
kernel is a deep personal interest in addition to my career focus, and it
would be a rare privilege to work directly with some of you to converge
on some nice, clean designs for the kernel and these "new"
(page-fault-capable) devices that we have now. Here's what I can bring to
the discussion:

a) An NVIDIA perspective on, and experience with, using the HMM patchset,
versions 1-15, at the device driver level. In addition to working on the
nvidia-uvm.ko driver (which handles CPU and GPU page faulting) since its
inception, I've also helped develop and maintain various facets of our GPU
device driver for Linux, for the last 9 years.

As a semi-relevant aside, our company is allocating engineering time,
including mine, for long-term kernel projects such as this one. We want to
participate in maintaining and improving the kernel. I find that highly
encouraging and I hope others do, too. Times really are changing.

b) Some thoughts about the dividing line between core kernel and drivers.
Our device drivers are starting to push the limits of what drivers should
really do (we are heading perhaps too deeply into memory management), and
of course I want to avoid going too far. For example, I've seen
recent comments on linux-mm that drivers shouldn't even take mmap_sem,
which is intriguing. We need to provide...something for that, though.

c) Some thoughts about dealing with both HMM and ATS in the same driver
(our devices have to support both--although, not at the same time).

--

For this discussion track, I'm especially interested in simultaneously
considering:

1. HMM (Jerome's Heterogeneous Memory Management patchset): this solves a
similar problem as ATS (Address Translation Services: unified CPU and
Device page tables), but without the need for specialized hardware. There
is a bit of overlap between the HMM and ATS+NUMA patchsets, as has been
discussed here before.

2. IBM's ATS+NUMA patchset.

3. Page-fault-capable devices in general.

thanks,
John Hubbard

* Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] HMM, CDM and other infrastructure for device memory management
@ 2017-01-16 12:19 ` Anshuman Khandual
From: Anshuman Khandual @ 2017-01-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hubbard, lsf-pc, linux-mm
  Cc: Jerome Glisse, Anshuman Khandual, Serguei Sagalovitch,

On 01/11/2017 09:52 AM, John Hubbard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to attend this topic that Jerome has proposed. Studying the
> kernel is a deep personal interest in addition to my career focus, and it
> would be a rare privilege to work directly with some of you to converge
> on some nice, clean designs for the kernel and these "new"
> (page-fault-capable) devices that we have now. Here's what I can bring to
> the discussion:
>
> a) An NVIDIA perspective on, and experience with, using the HMM patchset,
> versions 1-15, at the device driver level. In addition to working on the
> nvidia-uvm.ko driver (which handles CPU and GPU page faulting) since its
> inception, I've also helped develop and maintain various facets of our GPU
> device driver for Linux, for the last 9 years.
>
> As a semi-relevant aside, our company is allocating engineering time,
> including mine, for long-term kernel projects such as this one. We want to
> participate in maintaining and improving the kernel. I find that highly
> encouraging and I hope others do, too. Times really are changing.
>
> b) Some thoughts about the dividing line between core kernel and drivers.
> Our device drivers are starting to push the limits of what drivers should
> really do (we are heading perhaps too deeply into memory management), and
> of course I want to avoid going too far. For example, I've seen
> recent comments on linux-mm that drivers shouldn't even take mmap_sem,
> which is intriguing. We need to provide...something for that, though.
>
> c) Some thoughts about dealing with both HMM and ATS in the same driver
> (our devices have to support both--although, not at the same time).
>
> --
>
> For this discussion track, I'm especially interested in simultaneously
> considering:
>
> 1. HMM (Jerome's Heterogeneous Memory Management patchset): this solves a
> similar problem as ATS (Address Translation Services: unified CPU and
> Device page tables), but without the need for specialized hardware. There
> is a bit of overlap between the HMM and ATS+NUMA patchsets, as has been
> discussed here before.
>
> 2. IBM's ATS+NUMA patchset.
>
> 3. Page-fault-capable devices in general.

Initially thought there would be a single common discussion TOPIC for all of
the "device memory management infrastructure" but seems like its getting
split into multiple TOPICs. Hence I am trying to sign up for all them
individually.