From: Miroslav Benes <mbenes@suse.cz>
To: Evgenii Shatokhin <eshatokhin@virtuozzo.com>
Cc: live-patching@vger.kernel.org, pmladek@suse.com, nstange@suse.de
Subject: Re: Patching kthread functions
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 13:53:21 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

> >> The old function will continue running, right?
> >
> > Correct. It will, however, call new functions.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> So, I guess, our best bet would be to rewrite the thread function so that it
> contains just the event loop and calls other non-inline functions to actually
> process the requests. And, perhaps, - place klp_update_patch_state() before
> schedule().

Yes, that might be the way. klp_update_patch_state() might not be even
needed. If the callees are live patched, the kthread would be migrated
thanks to stack checking once a task leaves the callee.

> This will not help with this particular kernel version but could make it
> possible to live-patch the request-processing functions in the future kernel
> versions. The main thread function will remain unpatchable but it will call
> the patched functions once we switch the patch_state for the thread.

Yes. The only issue is if the intended fix changes the semantics which is
incompatible between old and new functions (livepatch consistency model is
LEAVE_PATCHED_SET, SWITCH_THREAD, see
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20141107140458.GA21774@suse.cz/ for the
explanation if interested).

Regards