Hi, On Sat, 25 Jul 2020, Michał Mirosław wrote: > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 06:01:19PM +0530, Rohit K Bharadwaj wrote: >> On 25/07/20 5:31 pm, Michał Mirosław wrote: >>> On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 11:59:39AM +0530, Rohit K Bharadwaj wrote: >>>> changed usage of slave (which is deprecated) to secondary without breaking the driver >>> >>> The relevant I2C and SMBus standards use master/slave terminology. Why are >>> you changing the names to something unfamiliar? >>> >>> If the reason are the recent coding-style changes, then please note they >>> are about avoiding introducing *NEW* uses of the specific words and not >>> about blindly replacing existing occurrences. >> >> I'm really sorry sir, I didn't knew about this, yes the reason for my change is according to the script checkpatch.pl to suit the coding style, I would try to fix some other coding style related issues if this patch seems to be a bad idea. > > I didn't know checkpatch does this (it doesn't in current Linus' master > tree). I can see there is a commit in next adding this, but seems that > it uses a test far from the original coding-style wording... given the discussion here [1] and also looking at the coding style patch here [2], I think this patch should not be applied. The slave term here comes from the I2C protocol (which we can't change) which is listed as an exception in [2], see below: "+Exceptions for introducing new usage is to maintain a userspace ABI/API, +or when updating code for an existing (as of 2020) hardware or protocol +specification that mandates those terms. For new specifications +translate specification usage of the terminology to the kernel coding +standard where possible. " Marc [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/6/11/60 [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst?id=a5f526ec