From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77+btrfs@gmail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] BTRFS hot relocation support
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 23:58:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@gmail.com> schrieb:

>>> How will it compare to bcache? I'm currently thinking about buying an
>>> SSD but bcache requires some efforts in migrating the storage to use.
>>> And after all those hassles I am even not sure if it would work easily
>>> with a dracut generated initramfs.
>
>>   On the side note: dm-cache, which is already in-kernel, do not need to
>> reformat backing storage.
>
> On the other hand dm-cache is somewhat complex to assemble, and letting
> the system automount the unsynchronised backing device is a recipe for
> data loss.

Yes, that was my first impression, too, after reading of how it works. How
safe is bcache on that matter?

> Anyway, here's a shameless plug for a tool that converts to bcache
> in-place:  https://github.com/g2p/blocks#bcache-conversion

Did I say: I love your shameless plugs? ;-)

I've read the docs for this tool with interest. Still I do not feel very
comfortable with converting my storage for some unknown outcome. Sure, I can
take backups (and by any means: I will). But it takes time: backup, try,
restore, try again, maybe restore... I don't want to find out that it was
all useless because it's just not ready to boot a multi-device btrfs through
dracut. So you see, the point is: Will that work? I didn't see any docs
answering my questions.

Of course, if it would work I'd happily contribute documentation to your
project.

Regards,
Kai