Hi James, On 10/20/20 1:41 PM, James Prestwood wrote: > On Tue, 2020-10-20 at 13:28 -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote: >> Hi James, >> >> On 10/20/20 1:02 PM, James Prestwood wrote: >>> The DHCP server can be enabled by including an [IPv4] group >>> in the AP provisioning file and including at least a subnet >>> mask. >> >> Any chance we can add this code to the current implementation without >> changing >> the API just yet? I think it is safe to assume that if the address >> is set prior >> to AP starting on a given interface, then we should not start our own >> DHCP, and >> if the address isn't set, then start DHCP server. If the address is >> provided by >> provisioning, then start our own DHCP as well, overriding whatever we >> picked. > > Sure, so keep the 'psk' DBus argument and remove [Security].Passphrase? > It seems weird to have both since we would be ignoring one. I don't know yet. I don't think removing the simple 'Start' method which just provides an SSID and PSK is a good idea. It is useful for quick and dirty setups. Provisioning files might be for more advanced users and might need their own dedicated Start method. So something like KnownNetwork(s) but for AccessPointConfiguration(s). > > But do we really want to make the decision to use DHCP based on if the > address is set? It really seems like the user would want to decide that > explicitly with a config file. OTOH if all no DHCP options are required > (using defaults) we would need some way of knowing to start DHCP or > not. I just don't see a correlation between the address being set and > the user wanting/not wanting a DHCP server. Well, the user has to first switch the device into AP mode or create the required interface first somehow. So before they actually hit .Start, they have a chance to configure the IP or not. If the IP is configured, then we assume the interface is managed by someone else. If it isn't, we take ownership. I suppose we can add an explicit setting in main.conf somewhere, or in the profile itself. But I'd keep things simple for now. >> >> I think we may need Andrew's opinion on whether these should be part >> of >> ap_config. P2P might not really care about setting up these >> variables and would >> prefer for ap.c to just figure things out. > > Sure, but they aren't required anyways so p2p doesn't have to include > them and defaults will be used (once netmask is fixed). The ap_config > structure was just a convenient storage object for these but we could > define something else too. Yes, true. But not much sense in actually storing them long-term if that's the case. Generate them / load from settings, give them to dhcp-server and forget. Regards, -Denis