From: Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@ti.com>
To: Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@intel.com>,
Cc: Po Liu <po.liu@nxp.com>,
	Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.oltean@nxp.com>,
	Alexandru Marginean <alexandru.marginean@nxp.com>,
	Xiaoliang Yang <xiaoliang.yang_1@nxp.com>,
	Roy Zang <roy.zang@nxp.com>, Mingkai Hu <mingkai.hu@nxp.com>,
	Jerry Huang <jerry.huang@nxp.com>, Leo Li <leoyang.li@nxp.com>
Subject: Re: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame preemption of traffic classes
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:55:59 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Vinicius,

On 02/11/2020 02:22 PM, Vinicius Costa Gomes wrote:
> Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@ti.com> writes:
>
>> We are still working to send a patch for taprio offload on our hardware
>> and it may take a while to get to this. So if someone can help to add
>> the required kernel/driver interface for this, that will be great!
>
> Will add this to my todo list. But if anyone else has the spare cycles
> feel free to have a go at it.

Thanks! We have made some progress in sending the base driver to netdev
list now https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/2/22/157

This device is taprio offload capable. Next step is to add taprio
offload to this driver. Then other features will follow.

>>> In my view, having this as a "runtime" error is not useful, as we can
>>> verify this at configuration time.
>>
>> Looks like this is not an error per 802.1Q standard if I understood it
>> correctly.
>>
>> This is what I see.
>>   From 802.1Q 2018, 8.6.9.1.1 SetCycleStartTime()
>>
>> If AdminBaseTime is set to the same time in the past in all bridges and
>> end stations, OperBaseTime is always in the past, and all cycles start
>> synchronized. Using AdminBaseTime in the past is appropriate when you
>> can start schedules prior to starting the application that uses the
>> schedules. Use of AdminBaseTime in the future is intended to change a
>> currently running schedule in all bridges and end stations to a new
>> schedule at a future time. Using AdminBaseTime in the future is
>> appropriate when schedules must be changed without stopping the
>> application
>>

> What I meant here is the case that I already have an "oper" schedule
> running, so my "oper->base_time" is in the past, and I try to add an
> "admin" schedule with a "base_time" also in the past. What's the
> expected behavior in this case? The text about stopping/starting
> applications doesn't seem to apply to the way the tc subsystem interacts
> with the applications.
>
 > I try to add an "admin" schedule with a "base_time" also in the past.
 > What's the expected behavior in this case?

Ok got it. I don't think this behavior is explained in the spec. I would
assume a sane thing to do is to switch to admin schedule if
admin->base_time is newer than oper->base_time and flag
the ConfigChangeError to be compliant to the spec, but frankly speaking
I don't know how application is going to use this. It is a low priority
item IMO and can be added as needed.

Regards,

Murali

--