On 9/30/20 12:11 PM, Magnus Aagaard Sørensen wrote: >> Ah, ok. More users are always welcome. Which SoC are you using? > We are controlling the test boards using a Raspberry Pi 4, so I assume > it is a Broadcom BCM2711. Ok....The SPI clock situation on the rpi4 is not optimal. But's a a different story :) >>>>> 1. I could not find any references to the GPIOs of the chip. Is it >>>>> correct that these are not exposed to the host system? >>>> ACK, gpio support is not implemented yet. Drop me a note, if you need it. >>> On the board I'm currently working on getting up and running, we have no >>> need for GPIOs or any of the other advanced features of the MCP2518FD. >>> On our older board, we do utilize the GPIO and oscillator output >>> functionality of the chip. It works for now with the old driver, so it >>> is not a priority. It would be nice to have this functionality in the >>> future for us. >> Bas Vermeulen (Cc'ed) is using the mainline driver (or an older version of it) >> and send a pull request for oscillator output >> (https://github.com/marckleinebudde/linux/pull/5). I did an initial review >> there. This is a good starting point if you want to contribute (or drop me a >> note for commercial support). >> >>>>> 2. When setting the oscillator frequency outside the >>>>> MCP25XXFD_SYSCLOCK_HZ_MIN and MCP25XXFD_SYSCLOCK_HZ_MAX range, the >>>>> frequency is compared to the max value scaled by the max PLL value. Is >>>>> the intention to compare with the min value? Currently, an external >>>>> oscillator of 4 MHz and a PLL value of 10, resulting in 40 MHz, is >>>>> treated as being too low. >>>> This is intended. I have no hardware with a 4MHz osc to test, so I decided to >>>> not support the 4MHz osc for now. If you design new hardware I suggest to use a >>>> 40MHz osc, as probably no one has tested the hardware thoroughly in the PLL >>>> mode. If you need 4MHz support, it can be added, given there is hardware. >>> I can provide some test information if needed, as I have internal >>> testing hardware with a 4 MHz oscillator already. Are there any specific >>> message sequences that needs to be tested? >> You have to take care of the PLL in the functions mcp25xxfd_chip_clock_enable(), >> mcp25xxfd_chip_softreset_check(), mcp25xxfd_chip_clock_init(). >> >> The MCP25XXFD_REG_OSC_PLLEN bit has to be set and the MCP25XXFD_REG_OSC_PLLRDY >> bit has to be polled. >> >> I'm not sure what SPI speed you can use, when communicating with the mcp, if the >> PLL is not enabled. Maybe Thomas (Cc'ed) can answer this. I suspect you can only >> use 2MHZ (or rather 85% of it) if you have a 4 MHz OSC with PLL still disabled. > Thanks for the hints, I'll see if I can adapt it to our use case. I'm looking forward for patches :) Marc -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Embedded Linux | https://www.pengutronix.de | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |